Money Moral Dilemma: Should I claim tax back while working from home due to coronavirus?

Options
13»

Comments

• Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Double010 said:
    Of course you shouldn't claim it , whatever the amount . Why rip off the government , and taxpayers , particularly at a time of national emergency.
    How can you rip off the government when it is offered by the government? Complete nonsense.
  • afis1904
    afis1904 Posts: 348 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 April 2020 at 7:07AM
    Options
    Very weird that this is a website based around saving money wherever you can but somehow once you're claiming money from super rich (I'm going to include the government as they can borrow however much they want) it's a moral dilemma.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Scrapit said:
    Double010 said:
    Of course you shouldn't claim it , whatever the amount . Why rip off the government , and taxpayers , particularly at a time of national emergency.
    How can you rip off the government when it is offered by the government? Complete nonsense.
    It's not offered by the government if you're only working from home due to coronavirus though (as per my previous post). 
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • mobilejo
    mobilejo Posts: 333 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Double010 said:
    Not sure if this is serious or very sarcastic?
  • TheAble
    TheAble Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 April 2020 at 11:08AM
    Options
    It's not a huge amount of money but I'll be claiming it all the same. All mounts up, you know. "Many a little makes a mickle", as Poor Richard says...
  • Jaytee966
    Options
    Don't confuse expenses allowable for tax with those that are not. You are entitled to claim for expenses wholly, exclusively and necessarily incurred in the performance of your duties. Commuting to work does not meet this test. Using your electricity, telephone etc for business does meet the test sometimes, but to avoid having to check a whole load of trivial claims they grant an allowance of £6 a week without proof if you work from home. If you pay tax at 20% it is worth £1,20 a week. After the end of the tax year you use a form P87 to claim. There is no moral dimension. If there was, you would turn down the personal allowance of £12,500 as well. If you want to give the money to a charity of your choice, do so.
    Gift it to charity, using GiftAid, the charity will get £1.50. As there are people falling between the cracks in the government schemes, donation of food or cash to your local foodbank may be relevant at this time.

• JayD
    JayD Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As has been said ... £6 tax relief - and as you are better off financially anyway, I suggest you don't bother.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Double010 said:
    Isn't that what the employer is doing by not paying it to the employee in the first place?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback