Fees for this term

Hi, this is my first post so be nice! ;)
My son is on a stand alone foundation year at Trinity Laban school of music and dance in London.
The foundation is not funded by Student Loan Company as foundation doesnt qualify so we (his parents) have footed the bill for accommodation and fees. (About £20,000).
Now, during the current COVID19 restrictions, his classes ended and he has come home.
He is not studying at school - usually 8 hrs a day in classes at this time of the year - and is not living in halls of residence.
We have just been requested to pay the full amount for his final term of accommodation and fees totalling £6000.
Do i have grounds to not pay all or a portion of these fees being as though he is not receiving services or goods as expected?
He has received about 8 hrs of online lessons in the past 5 weeks.
I could suggest he drop out and not pay the tuition fee but am worried it would jeopardise his BA place that he has been accepted on for the coming three years.
I have brought this subject up with the school financial term but they are not participating in dialogue with me about it.
They have just requested full payment as normal.
Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,095
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Is the accommodation owned by the college?
  • No. Private accommodations.
    Not too concerned about that as they've told me they're  not chasing it and technically he is storing his stuff there but living at home.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,631
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite

We understand that the Covid-19 pandemic has caused considerable upheaval for students while Trinity Laban has moved to remote teaching to ensure their safety. We hope to return to face-to-face delivery as soon as possible. In the meantime, all courses are now running with effective online teaching and assessment opportunities, and no student should be prevented from finishing their academic year. Similarly, all final year students will be able to graduate as usual. Therefore, as per our terms and conditions, there should be no reason to refund fees and final fee instalments will be taken after Easter as originally planned.

• The term 'effective online teaching' is what is at question here.
    My son has had about 10hrs of tuition online since the school closed.
    At this point he would normally be dancing 9-6 each day.
    The online teaching is not adequate for his course.
    Also bear in mind he is a ballet and tap student trying to do lessons in his bedroom or our kitchen and that presents a health and safety issue with him dancing on improper surfaces etc.
    If he slipped over and broke his ankle for example that could be a career ending injury.

• I have requested they open up some dialogue with me but they are not even dignifying my request with an email.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,744
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    They are running courses as best they can. He will still graduate. Both these factors suggest to me that the fees should be paid.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,015
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    LeeNaylor said:
    The term 'effective online teaching' is what is at question here.
    My son has had about 10hrs of tuition online since the school closed.
    At this point he would normally be dancing 9-6 each day.
    The online teaching is not adequate for his course.
    Also bear in mind he is a ballet and tap student trying to do lessons in his bedroom or our kitchen and that presents a health and safety issue with him dancing on improper surfaces etc.
    If he slipped over and broke his ankle for example that could be a career ending injury.

Hi, I have a daughter interested in going to drama college. We attended Trinity Laban's open day last December. It seemed a lovely college. Unless the foundation year is structured differently to it's musical theatre BA it's not 'just' a dance college. There should also be lessons in singing and acting, so what has happened to those lessons?

My daughter is at a sixth form on a performing arts course and her lessons still run the best they can. Singing is probably the easiest lesson to do on-line. Acting limited and dancing the hardest. 

I have noticed from the performing arts forums I've been on that the 'big name' drama schools seem to have been slow to go to on to on-line, whereas the local dance and drama schools all seem to have gone to that pretty much straight away.

I'm reading your post as he's got a BA offer from Trinity for this September? Huge congratulations to him. Not many are usually taken from foundation courses at any of the drama schools to the degree/diploma courses, so that is fantastic that he has.
    I would start by asking your son, other than dancing what lessons would he also be doing at this time and what has been offerred so far to keep them going. Then you can query with Trinity what they intend doing about all the other elements of the course that are now missing.

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,631
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    According to their Facebook page they only started  thee new term 20 April so how long were they on holiday?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback