PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord claim during corona outbreak

Options
I have just had an email from my previous letting agent stating that the landlord is wanting to claim for the full amount of my deposit due to the property being left in an inadequate state. My ex partner and I had to leave some items there due to the local waste disposal site not being open and we were not going to fly tip. We asked our local council and many other people for help but no one could help us. I am also classed as a high risk/vulnerable person. Can anyone shed some light on where I may stand in this situation? 

Comments

• tourist4ever
    Options
    get a full breakdown of what exactly they are claiming + copy of the check out report. Perhaps they are not only claiming for disposal of items, how much deposit are we talking about here?
    Unfortunately the virus would not be any reason for not disposing of items, there would have been probably private companies to get a quote from and proceed as councils would obviously not collect any.
  • Stubod
    Stubod Posts: 2,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I am not sure why it would be your landlords responsibility to remove your items, so yes I think it would be reasonable for them to charge you for this. But as the above, how much "stuff" are you talking about that needs to be moved and how much was the deposit?
    .."It's everybody's fault but mine...."
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It is reasonable for the landlord to charge you for disposal of your items. However the landlord should be able to provide receipts/evidence of the cost incurred.

You should request evidence of the costs the landlord has incurred and a full breakdown of the deductions made. If that isn't provided quickly, then lodge a deposit dispute.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any reason why you couldn't have taken the items with you?
  • greatcrested
    greatcrested Posts: 5,925 Forumite
    Options
    As above. Plus read:
    Post 3: Deposits: Payment, Protection and Return.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    However you assumed the LL would remove the items is the method you could have used.  But, as others have said, I'd be suprised if it was the full deposit.  Did you take photos before moving in (or have a check in report) and photos after you moved out re any damages/unclean areas if any are being claimed for?

You can pursue any deposit you think you are owed through the deposit protection scheme your deposit was lodged with.  I'd advise doing that.
  • Shelby_Paige
    Options
    Due to having to move back in with family for the lock down (health problems meaning me being high risk) I did not have the transport or space to take these items as they were due to be disposed of until the local waste facility closed. We explored all avenues to remove items such as paying for our local council to collect (not open) various removals companies (not trading) the local tip (not open) we explained the situation to the agents and they said if we left it we would be charged for them to dispose of it , we then asked them if they could tell us where they would take it to get rid of it and received no response. 
    I have photos of the property as we left it and I also have the check in paperwork too. Since posting I have requested a break down of what money they are planning on claiming/deducting.
  • John_
    John_ Posts: 925 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have just had an email from my previous letting agent stating that the landlord is wanting to claim for the full amount of my deposit due to the property being left in an inadequate state. My ex partner and I had to leave some items there due to the local waste disposal site not being open and we were not going to fly tip. We asked our local council and many other people for help but no one could help us. I am also classed as a high risk/vulnerable person. Can anyone shed some light on where I may stand in this situation? 
    Why didn’t you take it with you when you moved, and get rid of it later? It’s reasonable for the landlord to pay to have it taken care of, so if he’s charged a sensible amount for this you probably ought to leave it at that.
    Were there any other issues.
  • greatcrested
    greatcrested Posts: 5,925 Forumite
    Options
    ...... they said if we left it we would be charged for them to dispose of it , we then asked them if they could tell us where they would take it to get rid of it and received no response.
    Not really your concern where/how or when they will dispose of it provided the deduction they make is 'reasonable'.
    Is the cost of disposal of your possesions the only deduction being proposed or is there more (" due to the property being left in an inadequate state.")?
    Once you know how much is being proposed for each issue (assuming there is more than one), you can asess its 'reasonableness'. The landlord/agent might provide evidence (and will probably need to if it goes to arbitration/court) to justify the cost, eg a written quote or estimate.

• Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In the South East, licensed waste carriers have been operating throughout the lockdown, observing proper social distancing.  Presumably the LL will have paid someone to remove your items in this manner and it's only fair for that cost to be passed on to you.  If there was no "free" way of removing things, then it was always going to be your cost.  An unfortunately situation, of course, but definitely not the LL's cross to bear.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback