Base for a shed (concrete)

Options
Hello, I have planning on doing the building a 14 by 8ft shed soon and just trying to sort out the floor. I have a concrete base already because I am going to be removing my sectional garage. What is the best way to lift the shed off the ground to allow airflow? The shed will be holding a bit of weight because its going to be a workshop and for storage. I did think about having the shed just on the concrete but that will course problems with damp, wood rotting over time (It wouldn't be easy to replace), etc. 
Any recommendations or advice would be great. 

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Concrete blocks with a strip of DPC under the wooden floor bearers.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Depending on the type of workshop, doing away with a wooden base and going straight on to concrete may be a better option. If you are planning on installing even a moderately sized lathe, it will need a very solid base (as will most other machine tools).
    If you go for a concrete floor, a sheet of plastic (damp proof membrane) topped off with at least 50mm of concrete would do it.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    molerat said:
    Concrete blocks with a strip of DPC under the wooden floor bearers.
    Thank, seem to be what most people do but wasn't shed if they changes if the base is already concrete. 

FreeBear said:
    Depending on the type of workshop, doing away with a wooden base and going straight on to concrete may be a better option. If you are planning on installing even a moderately sized lathe, it will need a very solid base (as will most other machine tools).
    If you go for a concrete floor, a sheet of plastic (damp proof membrane) topped off with at least 50mm of concrete would do it.
    Hmmmm Yeah that is a good point. Will be having a smallish lathe and most things I work on are small items so not massive tool The storage part will be more on the heavy side with some heavy boxes stacked. I would personal love to have the shed on the ground because that would be always stronger but just worried about damp, rain, etc. 

I am planning on having a warm roof and insulate the walls. Just struggling the what to do with floor and base. 
    Here are some photos what the base looks like now.  
  • gamston
    gamston Posts: 689 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I built 2 garden sheds (just for garden stuff nothing too heavy) I put down a concrete base then a brick pier all around for the timber shed to stand on (so it was raised from the ground with the lowest length of the cladding overhanging the bricks so any rain drops off the cladding onto the concrete base, only problem is there is a step (brick pier & wooden joist) to get stuff into/out of the shed
    ,I would always raise the building on a brick pier for any sheds I have
  • womble12345
    womble12345 Posts: 585 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gamston said:
    I built 2 garden sheds (just for garden stuff nothing too heavy) I put down a concrete base then a brick pier all around for the timber shed to stand on (so it was raised from the ground with the lowest length of the cladding overhanging the bricks so any rain drops off the cladding onto the concrete base, only problem is there is a step (brick pier & wooden joist) to get stuff into/out of the shed
    ,I would always raise the building on a brick pier for any sheds I have
    Doesnt raising it just create more space for nesting vermin?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure