PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

A couple of questions?

Tomorrow we get the keys to a rental property, we are having to rent as the house we are buying is not ready and we don't want to break the chain.......anyway it is a furnished property so we have all of our furniture to store. The house comes with a garage, so our plan was to store most of it in there and spread the rest between relatives garages as we don't want to pay the extra for storage. We have found out today that the landlord has taken their personal belongings out of the house and stored them in the garage and we guess they have taken the key. We obviously rented the house to include the garage. The agents that it has been let by knew but they didn't tell the landlord that we needed the garage. Is there anything we can do ie get them to move the belongings or reduce the rent etc.

Also regarding home insurance for rented properties, do we as tennants sort out the buildings and contents or is that left to the landlord as it is furnished?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    tenant insures the contents, landlord the building.

check your tenancy agreement to see if it includes the garage.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • The garage is definately included in the rent.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Do not store your furniture in the garage! Especially not at this time of year :eek:

It will be ruined. Mouldy, everything. Not moneysaving when you have to throw it all out.

When we moved up here, we lived in the house MIL was going to retire to. It had loads of really old furniture in it but she went crazy when we put some of it in the garage. So ours went in the garage and 10 months later it all had to go in a skip because it was mouldy. A chest my grandfather had made for me as a child, everything. Then she moved in a while later and threw ALL of the existing furniture out :wall:
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • We are only keeping the stuff in there for 6 weeks max (wrapped securely in polythene) as our house we are buying will be ready then. We have a 3 month tenancy.
  • guppy
    guppy Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The garage is definately included in the rent.

Is the garage actually specified in the lease or tenancy agreement?

If so then the landlord could be trespassing by preventing you from using it. Presuming he or his agent signed the contract, I'd assume that it would be difficult for him to claim that he never intended to include the garage.

Obviously, pursuing this may damage relations with him. I'd seek some money back personally.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure