We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Private buying/no agent/no mortgage query
PupPup
Posts: 46 Forumite
Hi all
Not been on here for a while, but got a question about house-buying and knew this would be the best place to ask for advice 🙂
My grandma sadly passed away in December. My parents are going to move into her house and sell theirs. I lived in their house most of my life and would like to buy it from them.
I will struggle to get sufficient mortgage on my current wage, but will get an inheritance of approx £10k from my grandma's estate. My parents' house has been valued at £200k to £220k.
I would like to give my parents the £10k and then pay them a monthly amount (I would suggest £650, as this is what I currently pay in rent) directly to pay off the rest.
Does anyone know what the legalities are around doing this, or what sort of lawyer I would need to speak to to get advice? Would a conveyancing solicitor be able to help?
Many thanks in advance 🙂
PupPup
Not been on here for a while, but got a question about house-buying and knew this would be the best place to ask for advice 🙂
My grandma sadly passed away in December. My parents are going to move into her house and sell theirs. I lived in their house most of my life and would like to buy it from them.
I will struggle to get sufficient mortgage on my current wage, but will get an inheritance of approx £10k from my grandma's estate. My parents' house has been valued at £200k to £220k.
I would like to give my parents the £10k and then pay them a monthly amount (I would suggest £650, as this is what I currently pay in rent) directly to pay off the rest.
Does anyone know what the legalities are around doing this, or what sort of lawyer I would need to speak to to get advice? Would a conveyancing solicitor be able to help?
Many thanks in advance 🙂
PupPup
I have autism, so apologies if I come across as rude. It may just be my communication problems.
0
Comments
-
Normal conveyancing solicitors who will prepare the necessary contract for a private mortgage and deal with the transfer, register the mortgage etc.
Your parents will need their own.
If there is an outstanding mortgage on your parents property that will have to be paid off.Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear 31/12/2029.1 -
Thank you 🙂
I will see if I can get some further advice remotely from a local conveyancer.I have autism, so apologies if I come across as rude. It may just be my communication problems.1 -
PupPup said:I would like to give my parents the £10k and then pay them a monthly amount (I would suggest £650, as this is what I currently pay in rent) directly to pay off the rest.Are your parents happy with that in principle? £200k / £650 = over 25 years of payments even if you assume no interest. Is the fact that you used to live in the property a good enough reason for you to buy it rather than something else?0
-
Before worrying about how to buy this house, I think you need to ask yourself some questions (even if you don't want to).
£650 may be what you paid on your previous rental but you will have to find out if this is reasonable and acceptable to your parents for their house. The deposit may be all you will have, but its still a fairly low amount. You don't even have it yet. If you haven't managed to save a deposit for house buying purposes (you only have the money if you get it from your Grandmother's estate), do you have enough income and the financial ability to maintain your parents house and pay the bills, live a life and pay £650 a month? How old are your parents.., do they need the large cash amount they would get from selling their house the traditional way?
Your parents may be fine with this, but how will you handle it if they are not? It could put them in a difficult position. If you can't manage financially, it could put you in a difficult position.2
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
