Advice on a new business idea please

Hello all, hope everyone is well. Looking for some advice really, thinking of starting a small business for an extra income but have a few questions. The business would be run from my home, simply bagging/boxing up pick and mix/sweets and selling crisps, popcorn, cans of drink etc etc, and delivering them to people. There seems to be a big demand for it, and I have spotted and thought of things others aren't doing..

But my question is, do I need to get a food hygiene rating? Register with the food standards agency? And do I need to put ingredients on boxes? (others local haven't ever done this)

Or can I just get started? 
Anything else you can advise on would be appreciated. 

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• oldbikebloke
    oldbikebloke Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 18 April 2020 at 1:35PM
    have you considered using google?
    https://www.food.gov.uk/business-guidance/register-a-food-business
    https://www.food.gov.uk/business-guidance/setting-up-a-food-business

based on my reading of the above it comes down to whether you are selling ONLY pre-packed stuff or not. I note you state you will be "bagging" so you could be handling food ??? 

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    have you checked to see if there is a Restrictive Covenant on your home preventing a business being run from it
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Not to mention telling your landlord or mortgage provider of your intentions, and your insurer. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Will there really be enough demand though ?
    Considering it's, mostly, quicker and easier to nip to the nearest corner shop/petrol station/local mini supermarket i'd be asking whether the 'instant gratification' society we live in would have a negative impact on your businesss model.

I'm speaking from experience here when I say I am a greedy pig when it comes to satiating my need/desire for sweets etc and the whole placing of an order and waiting for its delivery would be a negative factor as i'd not have the patience to wait; just my own thoughts I know but, for a business to succeed - especially a small one - you've got to go into the 'ins and outs' with a fine toothed comb.

Do remember that profits don't start immediately, most businesses make a loss for the first x-number of years, then they break even for another x-number, and then, you start to see profit - if you've a successful model there.

If i've disheartened you i apologise but it's better to have someone in your camp posing/asking these critical questions and not just agreeing and telling you what a great idea it is because it's not their money that's at stake here and has been lost in the process.
    Folks/friends/acquaintancies think that what you see in your pocket each day is pure profit ....... it ain't !

• Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    If the sweets are  already in packages and you are breaking the packages up and selling them along with other sweets in your own bags, you might run into problems with the manufacturers or suppliers of the sweets.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 April 2020 at 12:40PM
    As this is a business how do customers pay. Whether via card or money your not going to have the social distancing in place or any kind of barrier between you and the customer if your taking items to people's doors. The same applies if your selling them out of the back of a van. Have you seen any ice cream vans around at the moment... I havnt around here and if there was one I wouldn't even go near it at this current time. You should run a poll as to whether people think your idea would work. Me personally, I'd rather run down to the local corner shop or Co Op for my fix of sweets and chocolate + it gives me the only chance to escape the house for a short period. 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure