We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How is your mortgage balance calculated?

2»

Comments

  • princeofpounds
    princeofpounds Posts: 10,396 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    AdrianC said:
    The calculations are called amortization.
    ...or even "amortisation", this side of the Atlantic.
    :) as you wish.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    AdrianC said:
    The calculations are called amortization.
    ...or even "amortisation", this side of the Atlantic.
    :) as you wish.
    The problem is that a quick google often finds a lot of US results - and they may differ markedly. So failing to realise the difference between the two countries can easily lead to misinformation... US spelling is usually the biggest clue.
  • ALaw94
    ALaw94 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Fifth Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 April 2020 at 1:56PM
    Thank you all for the info. I'm not currently a homeowner but am hoping to be in the near future. I was trying to work out the financials and get a picture of what position I would be in to remortgage after the initial term - for example if I get a 5-year fixed, I would likely want to remortgage (or sell) after 5 years. So I was trying to work out roughly how much I would still owe on my existing mortgage after 5 years. 
    Based on the majority of your answers - I won't know the balance of my mortgage until I actually have the mortgage and can view the mortgage statement / request the balance from my lender? In which case, how can a first time buyer make an accurate assessment of the debt / equity position they are getting themselves into?  

    I've tried using the mortgage calculators you get online, but these just ask for the 'interest rate' - it doesn't specify whether it's the initial term rate or the SVR. So I'm assuming whatever 'total value' this gives me isn't accurate, because it's not accounting for the fact that the interest rate isn't consistent over the total term. 
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Ok, it would have helped if you had said that in the first place - your original question suggested that the period with the variable rate was relevant, but if you actually just want to know the balance at the end of the fixed rate period, that's an easier calculation. In fact, there's a calculator on this site:
    which will show you the balance at any point during the term, if you assume a constant interest rate (which for your purposes you can).
  • ALaw94 said:
    Thank you all for the info. I'm not currently a homeowner but am hoping to be in the near future. I was trying to work out the financials and get a picture of what position I would be in to remortgage after the initial term - for example if I get a 5-year fixed, I would likely want to remortgage (or sell) after 5 years. So I was trying to work out roughly how much I would still owe on my existing mortgage after 5 years. 
    Based on the majority of your answers - I won't know the balance of my mortgage until I actually have the mortgage and can view the mortgage statement / request the balance from my lender? In which case, how can a first time buyer make an accurate assessment of the debt / equity position they are getting themselves into?  
    Depends how accurate you mean 

    It is very simple to calculate roughly the amount you will pay off in the first 5 years 

    e.g.  100000 mortgage @ 2% = £424 pcm = £5088 per year 

    year 1 ~2000 interest therefore paid of ~£3100 capital
    year 2 ~1940 interest (2% of 100k - 3k) therefore pay off ~3150 capital 
    year 3 ~1880 interest (2% of 100k - (2x3k)) therefore pay off ~3200 capital 
    year 4 ~1820 interest (2% of 100k - (3x3k)) thereofre pay off ~3250 capital 
    year 5 ~1750 interest (2% of 100k - (4x3k)) therefore pay off ~3300 capital 

    total paid off ~ 16000

    also various calculators online e.g. 
    https://www.themoneycalculator.com/mortgages/calculators/mortgage-balance-calculator/#!/dealfinder/mortgages/


  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 39,514 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    A mortgage illustration (or ESIS for short) has a year-end balance, rates, interest paid, capital paid, monthly payments. All sorts of useful information, really!
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • davidmcn said:
    Ok, it would have helped if you had said that in the first place - your original question suggested that the period with the variable rate was relevant, but if you actually just want to know the balance at the end of the fixed rate period, that's an easier calculation. In fact, there's a calculator on this site:

    which will show you the balance at any point during the term, if you assume a constant interest rate (which for your purposes you can).
    I hadn't noticed it previously but have now seen the 'your mortgage debt over time' graph underneath the calculator and the penny has finally dropped. Thanks. 
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.