YouTube Experiment

Comments

• izzoh
    izzoh Posts: 452 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This is so interesting! I know someone who used to have a youtube channel as her full time job. She was a US comedian of sorts. But then when they changed how they monetise things she basically lost lots of income. I have no idea how it works and I imagine they change the posts all the time but I'm super intrigued by this! Great idea and thanks for sharing. 
    9 years and counting
  • TriviaDuck
    TriviaDuck Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic
    No real news to report, just finished another video which will be uploaded shortly. Subscribers have dropped by 2 to 24. A little bit disappointing. Viewing numbers are still positive though!  Have also been making good progress directing fans of quizzes from other channels to mine, though those numbers are not converting into subscribers just yet.

• A small update, I received this message from one of the more established quiz/trivia based people on Twitter:

Hi I can promote you quiz service on my active twitter and popular quiz blog. I have worked with similar services in the past and boosted the numbers dramatically. Message back if you are keen

I've messaged back and expressed interest, hopefully this is just a kind offer with zero cost...
    With regards to the above, I’ve come to a non-financial agreement with the sender that will hopefully result in some exposure to my channel. Will see what happens!

Current stats:

Subscribers: 29
    Views: 2,700
  • TriviaDuck
    First Post Photogenic
    Update:  So I’m now at 32 subscribers, but it seems to keep hovering between 30-32, so I’m not sure what that’s about.

Views are averaging around 100-200 per video, except for the ‘generation game conveyor belt’ style quiz I made. This is at around 500 views now and climbs each day. This was one of the earlier videos I made and the quality is a bit south of where I would like, so I think I’ll make my next video a revamped version of that and see how it goes. The YouTube analytics also tell me that this video is being found by people searching on YouTube whereas the others still get most of their traffic from external links.  
  • TriviaDuck
    First Post Photogenic
    4 weeks in now and am at 41 subscribers and just approaching 5,000 total views. It’s been a slow and steady start but am hoping things start to move along now! 
  • JMKelley
    JMKelley Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
    YouTube search "channel earnings" there are a ton of videos discussing revenue in certain markets. Essentially, revenue comes from how much advertisers are willing to pay to place an advert - so - look at the highest earning "niches", it'll most likely be luxury.

Here's a few tips:
    • Research high earning niche's. Without posting links google search for "youtube keyword volume".
    • Once you have a niche without much difficulty, start creating content around this with those keywords.
    • Create quality content that helps people.
    • Interact with people, comment on videos and essentially like on MSE be a member of the community in your niche.
    Aspiring Entrepreneur. 🚀 Helping people save money on various Business related products. 💰

• TriviaDuck
    First Post Photogenic
    Thanks for the tips. Rather than go for the £££, I planned to make videos in a niche that I have an existing interest in as felt I’d be able to make more engaging content that way. Things are going well so far, I hit 51 subscribers today and approaching 6,000 views. That’s in 7 weeks with very little promotion. A slow and steady start! 😄
  • josewise
    josewise Posts: 18 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I have been thinking about this
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have you thought about approaching people who might use your videos directly, or who might share them with their own followers during lock-down?  I know some PTAs use ready-made quizzes for their events and some are sharing them on their Facebook pages for families to do and then share results while in-person events are off.  You could try your local schools' PTAs (not the schools, they have enough to worry about at the moment!), perhaps offering to compile a quiz specially for them or on a topic of their choice.  There are organisations that PTAs use too, e.g. Parentkind and PTA+, that might share you as a resource.  I only know about PTAs but I'm sure other organisations do similar things.  
  • Yorkie1881
    Yorkie1881 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My job is looking after some of the worlds biggest YouTube channels, I can't emphasise how much tags and hashtags influence views and whether your video will appear in charts, you already know about thumbnails & thats another big thing, create some playlists, reply to and heart comments made on your channel, add info and end cards to draw users to other videos on your channel. Tubebuddy is great, vid IQ is another I use. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback