Savings - where and with who?

Please could someone give me some guidance, I have 60K to invest but I'm unsure of my best course of action, spread it thin with lots of accounts or go for a lump in one place. I would like to be able to access the funds within a month at any given time, as it will probably be used for a house deposit.
Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• chesky369
    chesky369 Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    See post below 'investment advice needed'
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you're worried about a bank going insolvent, split it in half and open up a pair of high interest instan-access savings accounts. ICICI, IceSave and Sainsburys are all good for this. Once you have that sorted, you can start thinking about a cash ISA if you don't already have one. The reason I put it in this order is that the extra saving you'll get by sorting out the cash ISA first will probably be fairly negligible. Usually you'd open an cash ISA as your first priority, but since it will only deal with 5% of your total savings amount, it's not quite as urgent in my opinion.

Anyway, you should be looking at rates of at least 6.2% for both the cash ISA and the normal savings accounts at the moment.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • maypole
    maypole Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No more than £35000 in any one account with any one bank.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure