🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Fixing messed up wall after removing tiles? Skimming/plastering?

Options
124»

Comments

• delmonta
    delmonta Posts: 487 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. It took me all day to prep it and get it smooth! One coat isn't great as you said for the final touches. I got in a right mess at the start and thought I'd never get it smooth, but with some patience, 3 layers and a few skims it worked. I did it with just a mini trowel and a bucket, as I had nothing else. It looks good to me, good enough anyway! 

• Martin_the_Unjust
    Options
    Well done you 👏
  • Astrozombies
    Options
    That's a good result. Well done. Glad you managed it.
  • delmonta
    Options
    Hey guys, well it turns out after a week of drying my plastering wasn't so great! It feels lumpy where the laths are under it, so its not thick enough, and there are some thin cracks.

Can I just plaster again over the top now? DO I have to prepare the now dried plaster in any way, and what would be the best coat to put on considering I used one coat to start with?
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Take the architrave off around the door - You only need to remove the top and right hand side pieces. Give the wood underneath a rub down to remove the lumps & snots of paint.
    Water down some PVA - One part PVA, three parts water. Get everything you need together ready to start... Brush or roller the watered down PVA on the wall. Then go straight to mixing a small bucket of finishing plaster. Before the PVA has dried completely, slap a coat of plaster on. Use the door frame as a guide to the finished thickness.

To reduce cracking of the plaster, I'm a big fan of TDP fibres - You'll only need a small pinch, mixed in thoroughly with the water before adding plaster.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Astrozombies
    Options
    As above but personally I'd do a first coat of pva, let that suck in/dry then add a bit more pva to the mix you already have. Roller that on and skim on that one once it goes tacky. It'll stop the plaster drying out too quickly.
  • delmonta
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    Take the architrave off around the door - You only need to remove the top and right hand side pieces. Give the wood underneath a rub down to remove the lumps & snots of paint.
    Water down some PVA - One part PVA, three parts water. Get everything you need together ready to start... Brush or roller the watered down PVA on the wall. Then go straight to mixing a small bucket of finishing plaster. Before the PVA has dried completely, slap a coat of plaster on. Use the door frame as a guide to the finished thickness.

To reduce cracking of the plaster, I'm a big fan of TDP fibres - You'll only need a small pinch, mixed in thoroughly with the water before adding plaster.
    Thanks, I've ordered some PVA now I just need a good finishing coat. Someone earlier mentioned thistle multicoat

I did originally take the architrave off the door, but then realised I couldn't get it back on if I built up the plaster even a little, so I thought I'd use the architrave as my guide to plaster up to, is this wrong? It's a bit late now, so I might have to finish the job like that for now, but good to know for the future
  • Astrozombies
    Options
    You can use the arc as a stop. Just brush the join of plaster/arc as it tries and it'll look neat.
    Use Multi-Finish.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport