Courier pick-up points?

Options
I sell a few bits and bobs on fleabay and have used payperdrop for a while.

I find the prices great and the service has been fine.

My only real niggle is the waiting in for the driver or leaving them in the garage and hoping for the best.

Does anyone know if you can take the parcel to a depot or other place to send them. It may be a faff but when the parcel is worth several hundred £££s it isn't good leaving it lying around.

I seem to recall Staples used to do it, not sure if they do anymore.

Obviously I would prefer to use one of the firms that act as middlemen like payperdrop to keep the price down.

Thanks

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    not really.the whole point of the cheap service is they use the drivers to deal with delivery/collection on one duty.
    taking it to the dhl depot would mean paying the 'retail' dhl price
  • georgiac
    georgiac Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Custardy.

I'm not sure I fully understand your reply.

My packages have to be collected then taken to the local depot by their driver.

Therefore would I not be saving them one leg of the journey equating to saving time and money?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    no because the people at the desk are not the ones processing the packets.
    your thinking small scale.
    it could be its an owner/driver who takes a whole van load to the main hub point to be directly entered into the packet stream as they are pre-processed/lebeled items.
    if dhl etc could just offer that price at the depot desk then why are people like payperdrop existing? they use a business account which obviously works out cheaper for DHL on set procedures

theres no harm in asking your local depot/reseller but i doubt you will have that option
  • georgiac
    Options
    Hi totally that sounds ideal. Many thanks I'll get in touch with them now.

Bizarrely that site forwards to home-textiles, the company I used this week. Should of asked them before posting on here!
  • georgiac
    Options
    Just had a reply from hom-textiles saying no problem with dropping off package at depot.

Problem solved, thanks again to the community at MSe
  • totallyleegal
    Options
    georgiac wrote: »
    Just had a reply from hom-textiles saying no problem with dropping off package at depot.

Glad to be of assistance. If you're going to do this regularly, I would suggest having a word with the manager at the depot telling them this and leaving your postcode and address with them with a request that they leave your labels at the front desk. That way they won't have to go searching for them in the back every time, and usually the driver/manager allocated to your area will be more than happy to save their own time in pickups and you'll save time as your labels will be ready and waiting for you when you come in. If for some reason you want the odd pickup from your location, you can always phone the depot and ask for it as it's included in the price anyway.
  • isayoldchap
    isayoldchap Posts: 1,262 Forumite
    Options
    georgiac wrote: »

georgiac
    Some months ago I mentioned on here that my Parcelforce depot(mine is Gatwick) takes in the parcels providing you have the confirmation email.Also
    I made sure I arrived before the driver left as he would have the paperwork.

I haven't used Parcelforce for some months now as I've been using DHL as my local area driver gets in around 11-12pm but I would use PF if I was sending over 1.2m and under 1.5m.

Oh DHL don't accept parcels from customers at their depots if you use the third party arrangement.
  • georgiac
    Options
    Thanks isayoldchap, I used a seller called rdg2274s.gifin the end.

He was very helpful and emailed me the label to print out and attach to the parcel.

This was with parcelforce and it worked a treat, although the parcel was 24 hours late getting to it's destination, but that's another story!!!

I wiil certainly be using him and them again.

Thanks, gc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport