As a thanks to ALL public sector

2»

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,521
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 28 July 2020 at 7:09PM
    @diggingdude, my employer is commissioned by the local authority.  So  definitely no increases there. 

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Kit1
    Kit1 Posts: 422
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    fred246 said:
    It's funny. Teachers have all this holiday and fantastic pensions but I keep seeing adverts on TV for people to be teachers. If it was such a great job why do they need all the advertising?
    The reason for this is because of all the extra hours they put in over and above their pay.  Also all these so called  holidays are unpaid except for the four weeks pay everyone other employee gets.  Teachers spend most of their unpaid holidays planning and preparing lesson plans and resources for the next term. My self and my teacher were in the first week of the summer holidays sorting out the classroom ready for September (I am a TA) all hours were unpaid but the classroom wasn't going to sort itself. I haven't had a proper pay rise for years and worked all through the pandemic - when schools were closed but weren't closed.  It isn't a 9 - 3 job that everyone thinks it is but then maybe those that do should try it and see for themselves the hours staff work.
    Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52
  • Seldonista
    Seldonista Posts: 63
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Kit1 said:
    fred246 said:
    It's funny. Teachers have all this holiday and fantastic pensions but I keep seeing adverts on TV for people to be teachers. If it was such a great job why do they need all the advertising?
    The reason for this is because of all the extra hours they put in over and above their pay.  Also all these so called  holidays are unpaid except for the four weeks pay everyone other employee gets.  Teachers spend most of their unpaid holidays planning and preparing lesson plans and resources for the next term. My self and my teacher were in the first week of the summer holidays sorting out the classroom ready for September (I am a TA) all hours were unpaid but the classroom wasn't going to sort itself. I haven't had a proper pay rise for years and worked all through the pandemic - when schools were closed but weren't closed.  It isn't a 9 - 3 job that everyone thinks it is but then maybe those that do should try it and see for themselves the hours staff work.
    Planning
    Targets
    Marking
    Reporting/data
    The expectation that to be even remotely acceptance you have to do so much more on top of planning and marking, which you don't get allocated nearly enough time for, for no extra money, especially in primary
    Behaviour
    Constant fear of doing something wrong/not covering your back - especially for men
    A lot of bullying within the profession
    The constant, thankless, neverending rapid pace
    The fact that the training is literally made up
    The fact that some people "just have it" and you get sold this idea that anyone can teach - which is wrong
    The politics, not so much the workplace politics but the mainstream media politics, the judgement and complaints from parents.

The salary's fine but if you can survive teaching, you could have a much easier life doing any other job and your earnings potential is probably a lot higher for it.
  • I would absolutely support an ongoing annual pay rise of at least in line with inflation for public sector workers. Plus we need to recognise that there are key workers in the private sector who are underpaid. We need to better align financial rewards with how much we value the job people do.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback