As a thanks to ALL public sector

Options
How about as a “reward” for all the hard work and sacrifice that is currently being undertaken — this and future governments commit to a GUARANTEE of annual pay rise in line with inflation from this day forward each and every year.
 For decades we have had to fight for every penny, we are not greedy, we don’t want a massive pay rise, just not to be worse off each and every year.
So come on Boris and co you know it’s the right thing to do !!

Comments

• parcival
    parcival Posts: 949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh come on. Not all public sector workers are poorly paid and very few private sector workers have final salary pensions or all that holiday (in the case of teachers)......
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's funny. Teachers have all this holiday and fantastic pensions but I keep seeing adverts on TV for people to be teachers. If it was such a great job why do they need all the advertising?
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    parcival said:
    Oh come on. Not all public sector workers are poorly paid and very few private sector workers have final salary pensions or all that holiday (in the case of teachers)......
    How about next time you have the pleasure of requiring treatment by an NHS worker, you consider the following :
    Would I like this person treating me to :
    a) be happy and content in their job and feel that their work and dedication is valued and appreciated by the government and the population
    b) be disgruntled in feeling totally undervalued by the government and society and made to feel shameful for receiving better than average T&Cs and pension after 40 hard years of public service

Bet I can guess what your answer is - and do you really think a 20 year+ experienced consultant shouldn't be paid 100k+ (granted some management get stupid money and there are too many of them)
  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to think teachers had great holidays until my wife became a teacher. Then I realised that they get to work through the holidays and spend a considerable amount of time planning and marking outside of normal school hours. I rather suspect that if worked out the number of hours my wife works each year it wpuld be more that the number I work in a normal full time role.
    Not to say I'm not jealous of the pension scheme she has that is.
  • parcival
    Options
    JamoLew said:
    parcival said:
    How about next time you have the pleasure of requiring treatment by an NHS worker, you consider the following :
    Would I like this person treating me to :
    a) be happy and content in their job and feel that their work and dedication is valued and appreciated by the government and the population
    b) be disgruntled in feeling totally undervalued by the government and society and made to feel shameful for receiving better than average T&Cs and pension after 40 hard years of public service

Bet I can guess what your answer is - and do you really think a 20 year+ experienced consultant shouldn't be paid 100k+ (granted some management get stupid money and there are too many of them)
    I have worked in both public and private sectors and overall quality of employees and work ethic far better in private sector as it's not a job for life mentality. In saying that Nurses and carers deserve more money.
  • ToxicWomble
    ToxicWomble Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Only Nurses and carers- you are aware I am sure (unlike the majority of the media) that the NHS isn’t comprised of only Doctors and Nurses so why do only the Nurses deserve more money
  • parcival
    Options
    Only Nurses and carers- you are aware I am sure (unlike the majority of the media) that the NHS isn’t comprised of only Doctors and Nurses so why do only the Nurses deserve more money
    To be clear, front line staff IMO deserve more money. The vast numbers of administrators and managers certainly do not.
  • SeaVixen
    SeaVixen Posts: 221 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 June 2020 at 4:34PM
    Options
    parcival said:
    To be clear, front line staff IMO deserve more money. The vast numbers of administrators and managers certainly do not.
    I think they deserve to be paid commensurate with what they would get in the private sector.
    Like many things, the customer/patient experience is made up of more than just front line staff (though that isn't to take away from the brilliant work they do). For every stagnated employee, I've seen two motivated "high quality" employees leave to do the same job for more pay and the same holiday/pension set-up. 

Also a personal comment, not quite related to this:
    Working for the private sector also has the bonus of not having to listen to the world debate how much you are worth, often with no understanding of your role. The number of times I've been on the bus to work, hearing conversations that my job is overpaid and I do nothing to warrant it (often followed by a comment about BMWs or Jaguars)...  Personally, I balance that negativity out by knowing that I'm able to use my skills to help my community. Regardless of if they recognise or accept it  :wink:

I think the pandemic is showing us lots of gaps in how employees treat their workers, and will hopefully open up a conversation to allow things to improve for everyone - especially all key workers
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,745 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What about those of us who are key workers in the private/voluntary sector with pensions that bear no comparison to public sector ones and no pay rise since Lord knows when, not even a cost of living one.
    Do we not get a look in with any increased largesse? 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    elsien said:
    What about those of us who are key workers in the private/voluntary sector with pensions that bear no comparison to public sector ones and no pay rise since Lord knows when, not even a cost of living one.
    Do we not get a look in with any increased largesse? 
    That would be up to your employer to finance.
    I'm a social worker. We get essentially spat on by society...right until you want us to solve your problem. By keeping pay stupidly low for our level of responsibility, all that happens is many social workers go agency to increase their pay which costs the authorities more 
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback