Valuation Point?

Looking at Key Facts documents on the following and cannot find the daily valuation point time or cut-off point for this fund:
Legal & General International Index Trust I Class (LGII) - GB00B2Q6HX78

L&G website isn't very helpful, it lists all its funds and says "Prices are normally calculated at noon or 3.00pm each business day and will vary" and there is no mention of cut-off or valuation point in the key facts docs.
Does anyone know the dealing cut-off time and valuation point?
Thanks!

Replies

• ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    89.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Valuation point will be after the underlying markets invested in have closed. 
    Takes a few hours of adminstrative work to correctly value the fund the following day. Their aim would be to achieve this by 12 noon on the next working day. The 3 hour window simply provides a backstop. 
    As for dealing cut-off give them a call. 
    Real insurance claim quote : -

"Going to work at 7am this morning I drove out of my drive straight into a bus. The bus was 5 minutes early.".
  • port_of_spainport_of_spain Forumite
    141 Posts
    100 Posts
    The valuation point is 15:00 according to https://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results/l/legal-and-general-international-index-trust-c-income (That's a different Class unit, but different classes of the same fund will have the same valuation point.)
    Takes a few hours of adminstrative work to correctly value the fund the following day. Their aim would be to achieve this by 12 noon on the next working day. The 3 hour window simply provides a backstop. 
    Slightly puzzling comments. With 15:00 as a valuation point, that is during when most of the underlying markets (North American and European) are open. I can't imagine they will price units based on the closing prices of the markets on the previous day.
  • edited 8 April 2020 at 4:48PM
    BrucknerBruckner Forumite
    34 Posts
    10 Posts
    edited 8 April 2020 at 4:48PM
    Something else puzzling. iWeb say their dealing cut-off time is 45 minutes before the fund valuation point
    https://www.iweb-sharedealing.co.uk/PDFs/OrderExecutionPolicy.pdf
    How can this be? For most funds the dealing cut-off is several hours before the valution point. So ho can iWeb place orders at the next valuation up to just 45 minutes before?

This is significant because with most index tracker funds in the last couple of weeks you have no idea what level the market will be at between placing your order and up to a day until the next valuation point.
  • ColdIronColdIron Forumite
    7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    The L&G Factsheet (as opposed to the KIID) states the following
    DEALING INFORMATION
    Valuation frequency Daily, 3pm (UK time)
    Dealing frequency Daily
    Settlement period T+4

• AlbermarleAlbermarle Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can this be? For most funds the dealing cut-off is several hours before the valution point. So ho can iWeb place orders at the next valuation up to just 45 minutes before?

That seems strange . From previous posts if you want the next valuation point for a Vanguard fund ( 21.00) the cut off point is 09.00 ( on their own site ) latest 10.00 on some other platforms. Yet Iweb seems to be saying the cut off point is 20.15??

141 Posts
    100 Posts
    Well, IWeb can't do magic. If it's a cut-off time for orders set by the fund manager, it will apply to IWeb, too.
    I wouldn't be too concerned, anyway. Prices may move a few percent in a period of hours or a day, but they are as likely to move in investors' favour as against it, so best to be phlegmatic about it :)
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    109.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The cut off time has to allow enough time for the administration and orders to be in place before the trade time.   So, there is often some margin built in
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • bowlhead99bowlhead99 Forumite
    12.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Post of the Month
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That seems strange . From previous posts if you want the next valuation point for a Vanguard fund ( 21.00) the cut off point is 09.00 ( on their own site ) latest 10.00 on some other platforms. Yet Iweb seems to be saying the cut off point is 20.15??

IWeb does not seem to be saying the cut-off point for that fund is 20.15.  

They say as a general rule, the cut off is 45 minutes ahead of valuation. They are then pretty explicit that it varies by fund and you should check the valuation point and the cut-off point for things you actually want to deal in.  The purpose of that part of the order execution policy is merely to give you some sort of indication that funds must be ordered in advance of valuation cut off, which is all that's needed for the purpose of a policy document; anyone reading it should be in no doubt that they should check what the actual cut-off is, for the fund that they want to buy or sell.

Per link provided by Bruckner above:
    "When you buy or sell units in a fund, we send the order to the fund manager for execution at the next valuation point. This is the fixed time of day when the fund is valued by the fund manager. It is often 12 noon, but does depend on the fund. Our cut-off time for placing orders is typically 45 minutes before the valuation point. You should check the valuation point and cut-off time for orders for the fund you want to trade first, to make sure you place your order in good time. If you miss that day's valuation point, we will carry over your order to the valuation point the next day."

• ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    89.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The valuation point is 15:00 according to https://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results/l/legal-and-general-international-index-trust-c-income (That's a different Class unit, but different classes of the same fund will have the same valuation point.)
    Slightly puzzling comments. With 15:00 as a valuation point, that is during when most of the underlying markets (North American and European) are open. I can't imagine they will price units based on the closing prices of the markets on the previous day.
    Has to be. US markets don't close to 21:00 GMT.  Pricing has to factor in, market value of investments, accrued dividends and interest income, purchases and redemptions of units in the fund, cash balances held (which will include currency accounts and therefore have exchange movement) and investment managers fees. 
    Orders need to be placed early the previous day to ensure that the fund has sufficient liquidity (cash) to meet investor redemptions. Investment managers can then sell holdings during that days trading session.

Real insurance claim quote : -

"Going to work at 7am this morning I drove out of my drive straight into a bus. The bus was 5 minutes early.".
    141 Posts
    100 Posts
    Has to be. US markets don't close to 21:00 GMT.  Pricing has to factor in, market value of investments, accrued dividends and interest income, purchases and redemptions of units in the fund, cash balances held (which will include currency accounts and therefore have exchange movement) and investment managers fees. 
    Orders need to be placed early the previous day to ensure that the fund has sufficient liquidity (cash) to meet investor redemptions. Investment managers can then sell holdings during that days trading session.
    At the market close isn't the only possible time to deal, though I understand a large volume of dealing does happen at that time. And a global fund is unlikely to do all its trading at market close, when it covers markets with a wide variety of closing times.
    Your theory is that this fund, with a pricing point of 15:00, actually uses prices from 21:00 on the previous day (which is the time that US markets, which include more than 50%, but not all, of the fund's assets, close). And that the cut-off point for dealing must therefore be long before 21:00 on the previous day to the valuation point. It's a consistent theory, but I'd be very surprised if it's true.
    If the fund was going to actually value the assets at 21:00, I'd expect them to say the valuation is 21:00. Though naturally there would be some delay after 21:00 before the prices were calculated and published.
    When do you think the many funds with valuation points of 12:00 actually value their assets? The previous day, too? I'd be very surprised, again, if that's the case.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides