Forum Home » Credit Cards

Applying for a Credit Card during the Corona Virus

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Applying for a Credit Card during the Corona Virus

1 reply 137 views
chriskh94chriskh94 Forumite
2 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
Hello,

I am wanting to apply for my first credit card but with what is going on now with the Corona Virus, I wasn't sure if it effects my chances of being accepted as I am worried that my request would be rejected and make my credit score lower than it already is. Also, I already have a visa debit card with Barclays Bank and wanted to know if you would recommend going with the same bank, a different bank or if it doesn't make a difference.
Thank you

Replies

• cymruchriscymruchris Forumite
    486 posts
    100 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    The best thing to start with is to try one of the eligibility checkers - you put in your details and it'll tell you the likelihood of you being accepted. Barclaycard has one - as do some of the sub-prime credit card companies such as Vanquis, Aqua and Capital One - completing the checkers result in a soft search that doesn't impact your credit history. So if you try the eligibility checkers - see what it says - and if it says you've got a good chance (or more) of being approved give it a go. Don't apply to lots of credit cards (full applications) in one go though!
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!