Forum Home » Credit Cards

Disputes against me

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Disputes against me

8 replies 473 views
thejackieashthejackieash Forumite
1 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
I run a small Airbnb, and most of my bookings come through Booking. com. I have a no cancellation policy and Booking. com are providing no help to me financially. Guests can do a credit card dispute presumably.  As guests pay Booking .com directly first, will Booking .com have to pay the chargeback or will I?
Airbnb btw are giving hosts 25% of cancelled bookings which is fantasic

Replies

• born_againborn_again Forumite
    2.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Booking.com will be claiming funds back from you. They will not want to lose out.

I know this is a hard time for you. But if you play fair and refund people, they will come back. Mess people around with no refund as they can not go due to Gov and also AirBnb advice (unless for key worker) and you will lose customers and get bad reviews. As a business you can claim via the Gov.
  • edited 9 April at 1:58AM
    PaulW922PaulW922 Forumite
    930 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 9 April at 1:58AM
    Remember too that if *you* are unable to supply the accommodation because of the CVid restrictions or for any other reason, then the purchasers ARE entitled to a refund regardless of the reason or your policy. That is a basic law of contract.
  • edited 9 April at 9:00AM
    2e0arr2e0arr Forumite
    997 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 9 April at 9:00AM
    if you have a no cancellation policy then they either have to arrive or lose their payment. you are a business there to make money. 
    You are not a goodwill service. if they have travel insurance then they can claim from their policy. If your policy is no cancellation then if your customers cancels then they lose, if you cancel then you have to refund. 
    If booking.com try to charge you then take it from there. presumably booking.com know your conditions and you know booking.com's conditions.
    The meek do not inherit the earth they inherit a thump in the face 
  • chanz4chanz4 Forumite
    10.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not do the right thing and refund in full, its know ones fault risk of business
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • edited 9 April at 4:09PM
    makeni555makeni555 Forumite
    58 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts
    edited 9 April at 4:09PM
    Hi thejackieash

I too work in accommodation so I hope to offer some advice.  To be honest I think you've come to the wrong place. This is a consumer friendly forum not a business friendly forum. I would be asking for this advice on the reddit hotels page or booking.con partner forum (though I would avoid tbh).

Nope situation with a pay out from booking.con (guest has prepaid Ota) is that they would pay you as normal. Their force majeure nonsense you can dispute in a small claims court. Alternatively cancel your direct debit if there is going to be a balance and seriously consider your position with them as a "partner". They are not in it to help you - never have been, never will be. 

My advice is transfer reservation or credit (minus commission) if no future dates arise. AND presuming that booking.com pay out. If they don't its between you them and court. 

I'm here if you need more advice - though I am anti booking.com its because of their practices as whole not the commission based model (all sales have a cost).

Hope to be of help :) 

• afis1904afis1904 Forumite
    321 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    And people wonder why everyone hates landlords.
  • edited 9 April at 4:40PM
    2e0arr2e0arr Forumite
    997 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 9 April at 4:40PM
    why doesn't your customer claim from the government that way we all will pay, or better still claim on travel/holiday insurance? 
    If they are not insured then any one who is sympathetic to them should consider if your uninsured customer has an uninsured car and  crashes into your car.
  • PaulW922PaulW922 Forumite
    930 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    2e0arr said:
    why doesn't your customer claim from the government that way we all will pay, or better still claim on travel/holiday insurance? 
    If they are not insured then any one who is sympathetic to them should consider if your uninsured customer has an uninsured car and  crashes into your car.
    That’s useful advice