Made Redundant long before corona

I was made redundant in December 19. On a 6 month notice. Still got 2 months garden leave to serve until end of May. Then due redundancy money.  Is my employer allowed to furlough me? I thought the furlough was only for people they intended to re-employ after all this is over.  Also my agreement was done so long ago surely they have to stick to the agreement. Note my monthly salary is higher than the capped £2,500.  Any help appreciated.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,452
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    As the purpose of furlough is to avoid a redundancy which would be caused by CV and subsequent restrictions, you would appear not to be a candidate for furlough, and your employer may be acting fraudulently by furloughing you

If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Placing you on furlough and reducing your pay is almost always going to be a variation to your contract, which you don't have to accept. If you're employed and the business is cutting people's pay to stay afloat then that's one thing, but where you're already under notice I don't really see the benefit of accepting the pay cut at all!
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure