BT the company from hell

I am just at the end of my tether with BT, so much so that after last night's performance I just felt like slashing my wrists or bawling my eyes out!!!

Basically what happened is this: I had a BT line with them for over a year with no problems and with voice, and broadband coming from Virgin Media. After I left Virgin and went to Plus Net all was well... until I tried to come back to BT for voice calls. Despite telling them in no uncertain terms that I wished to keep the same number, they:
  1. changed my number
  2. ceased my old line
  3. gave me a new account number
  4. changed the name on the bill to the name of the previous person who lived at the address!!
Now I didn't especially mind this except that the broadband stopped working last thursday from Plusnet due to the number having finally changed at BT's end and the cease order on the previous line. This is a major problem as my business depends on having full internet access as does my partners'.

Plus net are not so bad apart from the waiting times on their lines (20 mins when I called) but their hands are tied. They are trying to reactivate, but don't know which number to try and activate, my new one, or the old one it should be?!?

What is not acceptable is BT's phone support. I have called BT several times both before the BB was cut off and after to sort it out and they have promised to get it sorted multiple times with no result. Each time I call nobody seems to know anything about the previous order and just keeps telling me 10 days standard time for this to happen. This is after waiting on the phone for well over an hour each time and 3 hours last night until I was finally cut off as BT informed me that the call centre was now closed!!!! Yesterday I spoke to two members of staff in India and both the lag on the line and the fact that we were not able to understand one another made things just impossible. When I demanded that they put me through to someone in the UK, they just bumped me back to the standard BT voice menu and the waiting started again!!!! It took up my entire evening from 6:30 until 9 and by the end I was crushed!!

I really felt like crying. I'd missed dinner, having not ate anything for breakfast and lunch, felt exhausted from being on the phone and just fell asleep.

What I want to know is, who to complain to about this level of service and the chaos they have unleashed on my life? They can't just get away with it. Plus net will charge £40 for every time they need to attempt to reconnect me and I would demand for compensation from BT for these incurred costs. I tried last night but the guy on the phone didn't understand the word "compensation", believe it or not, and my demands were met with bewildered silence.

Even calling during the day, the people I speak to might understand what I'm telling them, but its just not getting done.

My business is on a knife edge as it is currently without all trade being ceased by broadband outage. I've rigged a dial up connection for not, but I need more bandwidth to trade effectively as I do alot of uploading/downloading content for web design, video conferencing, sending large uncompressed images etc.

Any ideas on what on earth I can do? I can't even threaten to withold payment to them as the line is not even being billed to me currently!!!!! I really want to march into their head office and grab the CEO by the scruff of the neck. It hurts me very much that there is no other company I can get the line rental from instead...but ho hum.

Please anyone??

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family