Barclays lost money

Options
Hi my nan had a bank account with Barclays with quite a bit of money in it. They are saying g the account  is now closed and they don't know nothing about the money or where it is,like it never existed. What can we do?

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There's obviously more to this than meets the eye, but one option for her is to submit a subject access request under the Data Protection Act to ascertain exactly what happened to the account.
  • liamnick
    Options
    Would I be able to do it though,my nan is in a care home now and has slight dementia.the money will help towards her care home as she is 99 this year and they aren't cheap.
  • Tildaplum
    Tildaplum Posts: 411 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    how long ago was it closed do you know? ask for a copy of the closing statement to be sent to your nan.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    liamnick said:
    Would I be able to do it though,my nan is in a care home now and has slight dementia.the money will help towards her care home as she is 99 this year and they aren't cheap.
    Do you (or anyone else) have power of attorney, allowing others to act on her behalf?

It's presumably possible that her recollection of the fate of the account isn't accurate, so any and all evidence (statements, cards, correspondence, etc) will be useful in challenging Barclays....
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Now would probably be a good time for you, or another family memeber, to set up a lasting power of attorney.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure