Overdraft

Options
Hi just wondered if anyone can advise at all please. Currently sorting out my father in law who has got himself into a bit of a mess financially! We’re doing all we can but just wondered what we can do in regards to his overdraft. We are setting him up in a payment plan to pay off his debts using stepchange which is great this includes his cc’s & Od so we need to separate his overdraft as a debt but keep his account and have it as a standard account with no overdraft, does anyone know if this can be done at all? He is currently with the Halifax. Hope this makes sense! Thanks guys, stay safe 🙂

Comments

• Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Suggest you post on the banking board 
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • helwalk
    Options
    Sorry it’s my first post so not 100% sure what I’m doing but thank you 
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thread moved to Budgeting and Bank Accounts.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,457 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I would very much think that keeping the account is a not option, unless a agreement is reached with Halifax to pay off the overdraft.
    Not going to be easy at the moment. But i would be looking at getting another bank account open elsewhere. Most likely this will just be a basic bank account.
    Life in the slow lane
  • mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would very much think that keeping the account is a not option, unless a agreement is reached with Halifax to pay off the overdraft.
    Not going to be easy at the moment. But i would be looking at getting another bank account open elsewhere. Most likely this will just be a basic bank account.
    I agree a separate bank account with a separate bank is the way to go. If you don't there is the risk of the bank using the right of set off. I would also avoid a bank(in the same group of banks, eg Halifax and Lloyds are in same group) that he has any debts with for the same reason

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure