PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Dog wanted in rental property

Options
My landlady says I can have a dog but is looking to charge me extra for damage that may occur. My question is can she withhold my deposit or charge me a premium when my carpet is over 12 years old and was thin and stained when I moved in 3 years ago?

Comments

• theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Assuming you are tenant no lodger, agree to pay an extra deposit.  She will likely not realise she MUST protect the whole deposit (original + dog deposit - last bit sounds unpleasant).  You can then sue her for up to 3x total deposit & she'll find it even harder to evict you.

Artful: Landlord
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 April 2020 at 5:59PM
    Options
    My landlady says I can have a dog but is looking to charge me extra for damage that may occur. My question is can she withhold my deposit or charge me a premium when my carpet is over 12 years old and was thin and stained when I moved in 3 years ago?
    Charge you extra for: more rent? more deposit? or for any damage? You are probably talking about getting a puppy? there will be damage! Any damages should be taken out of your original deposit? If more than that? then you will have a problem?
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • greatcrested
    greatcrested Posts: 5,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 4 April 2020 at 6:02PM
    Options
    * she can charge you extra- eg in rent
    * she can increase the deposit, but only within the limit introduced last year in the Tenant Fees Act 2019 (5 weeks rent)
    * any increased depositmust be protected
    * You are right that damage to a carpet mut be ofset by its age - see 'betterment'
    * but it's not just the carpet that might be damaged. other furnishings, wooden flooring, paintwork, and potential issue with fleas etc
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just remember if she serves you notice at any time you may struggle to find another place which takes dogs. They seem very few and far between 
  • mel_dixy64
    Options
    Thanks everyone, not looking to get a puppy but a rescue. Your replies have been helpful.
  • greatcrested
    greatcrested Posts: 5,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    MMmmm. Might make a change from cake.....
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Presume a house not a flat? Only if  leasehold, there may be restrictions on getting a pet anyway.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good for you going with the rescue, best breed going!
    I know 3 rescue dogs. They all have behavioural problems. Harsh but true that many people cannot teach an old dog new behaviour. Of course, the experts and dog whisperers can, but the rest of us are merely human.

• onwards&upwards
    Options
    Davesnave said:
    Good for you going with the rescue, best breed going!
    I know 3 rescue dogs. They all have behavioural problems. Harsh but true that many people cannot teach an old dog new behaviour. Of course, the experts and dog whisperers can, but the rest of us are merely human.

Oh rubbish, most rescue dogs are perfectly fine with just basic training that anybody can do. 

Training puppies is no easier, if you want to do it well. 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure