Bathroom refurb

Hi all, we've just bought a house and the bathroom has been ripped out ready for a new installation. Only the old toilet remains. 

The walls are going to be boarded as most of it will be tiled afterwards and new plumbing fitted as the layout needs to change - were also moving most of the pipework to under the floordboards. The floor is also going to be boarded and tiled  over (currently stripped down to floorboards).

Once all the plastering and plumbing work is done were going to be doing the rest of the installation and tiling ourselves. We're quite competent at 'doing stuff' once researched and we know the best methods. And done most of the renovation work up to now throughout the rest of the house. We're also trying to save money as much as possible but without compromising on the finish we achieve.

I'm a bit confused as to the exact order to do everything and have some questions I'd really appreciate some advice on.

1. What order do we do things, my guess is:
- plumbing
- boarding/plastering walls
- actual installation
- wall tiling 
- floor tiling 
I don't know where the floor boarding stage be.. is it common practice to board around the installed bathroom or board underneath it? Remember we'll be laying tiles on the floor which I imagine will be the last step once everything is in place. 

2. Does the plasterer need to board up below the point that the bath will be or is it okay to leave that at brick? When we discussed it he suggested just boarding the whole wall but I'm wondering if this is unnecessary as long as we install and seal the bath properly.

3. Do I need to lay floor boarding underneath the bath area or is that fine on floorboards?

4. Do I lay the floor boarding after the toilet is installed and cut around the toilet or does the toilet sit on top? 

Any help or advice would be welcomed. 

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    If you are tiling around the bath, don't bother plastering that area - Put tile backer boards up (cement boards), tape the joints, and give it a thin skim of tile adhesive. Plasterboard & gypsum plaster is not waterproof. If you are thinking of using large format tiles, definitely use tile backer boards (and also use a tile leveling system).
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • woodwormme
    woodwormme Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Are backer boards these https://www.pureadhesion.co.uk/tile-backer-boards/jackoboard-insulation-boards.html

can they also be out direct onto bricks? My bathroom fitter I think did that.
  • I would like to know too...thinking of doing my bathroom too! Watching utube but different ppl saying different things.

I want to know once I take the old tiles off do i need to plaster the wall before putting on new tiles?? Anyone?? Help! 

Thank you 
  • gamston
    gamston Posts: 684 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 April 2020 at 7:43AM
    I did our 2nd bathroom last year, I don't like tiles on the floor so I put "lino" on the floor
    I put in 900 x 800 shower, toilet and filled one side with units and kitchen worktop feels roomy without a bath
    I run pipework, plasterboard/fixed the walls, put Mapei Shower proofing around shower area, Paint the ceil & door/frame,  tiled all the walls (I tile all walls top to bottom in case I want to change the layout in the future, lay the lino, then fit out the bathroom
    I've tiled around things in the past, but it does limit you on how you can change things
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure