Universal Credit PRAISE!

UNIVERSAL CREDIT
I was laid off because the business I work for closed down.
I started the 'UC' phone application at 10:20 this morning and before 12:00 a lump sum was in my bank account!
Rent paid and money for food!
Awesome job, UK Govt!
More details...
I actually made the initial application online on the 21st of March, but I couldn't get 'verified' by three of the non-government sites on offer... including Barclay's with whom I have multiple accounts!
I phoned the 800 number about 3 times a day and it was always busy. (To be expected, right?)
Yesterday I got through and was on hold for about 25 minutes.
The lady who answered set me up with a phone interview with someone local and she called me a few minutes early!
We went through the process of verification, needs, and eligibility, etc. I asked for the (repayable) advanced payment and got it approved instantly.
By noon the money was in the bank and my rent was paid and there's enough to last me till the actual UC payments begin.
The first payment begins five weeks from the date of your application regardless of whether or not you can get verified online.
In my case, I applied on the 21st of March. My first 'proper' payment will be on about the 28th of April.

Comments

• I’m self employed and had a similar thing! Considering the workload they must be under it’s pretty impressive!
    Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure