Overdraft on joint account after seperation

Options
Hi,
Whilst living together a joint account was opened for our household bills, family costs etc.  Both parties had our own bank accounts for 'personal' transactions such as mobile phones, gym memberships and spending.  In Oct the family home was sold, and the ex asked to be taken off the joint account - not an issue, I advised that we would need to pay back the overdraft, he suggested that he would look at transferring some money towards this at the next pay day and I transferred 1/2 of what the value of the overdraft was at that time.  It's now April and despite telling the bank (HSBC) in Jan that he would transfer some money towards the overdraft, this still hasn't happened and therefore interest is being accrued each month.  I have written an email to him to advise that as I had made every effort to close the account, given his request, I felt it was only fair for him to pay any subsequent interest after Oct.  Back in early March, I chased him up on paying his half of the overdraft back and he said he had gone through statements and he believed there was money taken from the account that weren't related to the household - any removal if funds were always related to childcare / household Bill's or things we needed for the house and anything that wasn't a DD was always agreed between us at the time of purchase if the joint account funds were used. 
Is there anything I can do to formalize him paying the overdraft off and stop interest accruing?  HSBC say they dont get involved and as the overdraft is within the limits,they are unlikely to do anything.  I have asked the ex to contact HSBC to arrange a repayment plan of he is unable to pay off the full amount.

Comments

• Notepad_Phil
    Notepad_Phil Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Unfortunately getting anything formalised is likely to be difficult and will have associated costs. Have  you had a look at https://www.hsbc.co.uk/help/money-worries/financial-abuse/ as there is a phone number on there that you could ring to see if they can suggest anything as they might be more attuned to your difficulties then a local branch is . As his name is still on the account have you got HSBC to change the way it is setup so that you both have to sign to get money out, regular payments would still be paid but nothing else could go out without your knowledge.
  • SlowlyLearning_2
    Options
    There was a marital dispute placed on the account in January so no payments can go out (apart from interest).  The account hasn't been used after the sale of the family home at the end of Oct last year.  Thank you, I will look at the info in the link.
  • Tildaplum
    Tildaplum Posts: 411 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    in a joint account you are jointly and severally responsible for the debt.

this means eventually the bank can come after either of you for the full amount, depending on who they see as the best bet.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    in a joint account you are jointly and severally responsible for the debt.

Would it be best just to accept he's not going to pay and settle it yourself asap?

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you agreed a financial consent order through your respective solicitors? 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure