PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenant can't afford rent - proof?

holschubes
holschubes Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 4 April 2020 at 8:01AM in House buying, renting & selling
We received a text message last night from our tenants simply saying that due to covid19 they can not afford to pay the full rental amount and can only pay half....as landlords are we able to ask for proof of this? Last year we knew that the tenants were employed as a Care Home Manager and a Care Assistant, we had learnt that the care home they both worked in had been shut down but we did not question our tenants as we decided as long as the rent was still being paid then that was all that mattered, so currently we do not know what their employment status is or where they work, but they have had no problem paying the rent up until now. The government are helping people and with furlough are paying 80% of peoples wages, am I correct in thinking this? Surely as landlords we have a right to ask our tennnts for proof of why they can't pay the full rent. Our first question back to them was "Have you lost your jobs?" and are yet to reply. It's a stressful time for everyone and as landlords we are very understanding of the current situation but where does it leave us. I know we can ask for a mortgage holiday period but still, I would like proof of why they can't pay.
Many thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 4 April 2020 at 8:37AM
    Yes definitely ask for proof. Care homes are still open so unless they have both been unlucky again they may be taking advantage 
  • Mickygg
    Mickygg Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    What proof would you be looking for though? A bank account with no money in it? Proof of job loss but wouldn’t say if they got another one?

Maybe look at it another way, if this current environment isn’t it better to get something than nothing? If they turn round and say they can’t pay anything then what will you do...
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The government are helping people and with furlough are paying 80% of peoples wages, am I correct in thinking this? 
    They're only paying up to £2500pm per person. So it depends what they were earning as to how far out of pocket they are.

Rent should be considered a priority bill, so it's a bit worrying if they're saying they can't pay that already. I'm betting they just want a few months of not having to pay, prob thinking you're getting a few months off the mortgage.

Maybe offer them one month free and see when that takes you with them? If you're happy to lose them, don't do a deal.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • afis1904
    afis1904 Posts: 348 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There's no proof for this sort of thing but there's also no reason why you shouldn't believe them.
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Also think about how this will work  Will the not paid half be stored up as debt to be paid back later or will you just make a new contract for reduced rent? 
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    hazyjo said:
    The government are helping people and with furlough are paying 80% of peoples wages, am I correct in thinking this? 
    They're only paying up to £2500pm per person. So it depends what they were earning as to how far out of pocket they are.
    It also requires the cooperation of the employer, rather than being something the employee can demand. Some people have simply been made redundant, or don't qualify for furlough. 
  • MoneySeeker1
    MoneySeeker1 Posts: 1,229 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 4 April 2020 at 9:37AM
    I'd be checking the local job vacancies personally to see what the odds were of them getting equivalent other jobs. 

There does seem to be a lot of advertising of vacancies currently by health authorities (ie the same sort of job) on the one hand and supermarkets needing extra staff for the duration on the other hand.

So I'd be surprised if there weren't job vacancies there they could apply for if their existing jobs have really gone - and I would want proof, in your position, they were asking for those vacancies before I considered whether to let them off their responsibilities.

They may be genuine (after you've checked on them for this).

They may be one of those households that normally have enough spare income they can save (but they chose to blow it on consumer spending) and it's their fault they don't have savings (as the chance was there).

They may just be thinking "Lots of other people are having a long break from work - so why shouldnt we?" and have chosen that option rather than take personal risks (and have instead preferred to risk your finances v. their health/wish for a break from work).

I'd analyse all those things in your position and see if they were taking the michael or genuine before I made my decision.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    We received a text message last night from our tenants simply saying that due to covid19 they can not afford to pay the full rental amount and can only pay half....as landlords are we able to ask for proof of this? Last year we knew that the tenants were employed as a Care Home Manager and a Care Assistant, we had learnt that the care home they both worked in had been shut down but we did not question our tenants as we decided as long as the rent was still being paid then that was all that mattered, so currently we do not know what their employment status is or where they work, but they have had no problem paying the rent up until now. The government are helping people and with furlough are paying 80% of peoples wages, am I correct in thinking this? Surely as landlords we have a right to ask our tennnts for proof of why they can't pay the full rent. Our first question back to them was "Have you lost your jobs?" and are yet to reply. It's a stressful time for everyone and as landlords we are very understanding of the current situation but where does it leave us. I know we can ask for a mortgage holiday period but still, I would like proof of why they can't pay.
    Many thanks.

You can ask, but they arent obliged to provide it. You arent obliged to agree, but ultimately your method of enforcement isnt available at the moment.

Whilst you may not have meant it this way, what do you mean you didnt question your tenants when the care home closed? Were you going to offer to help? Because the alternative is that you feel that you are entitled to be involved in their lives? You have no right to know where they work or what they do.

The 80% is not as simple as that. Ultimately you have no say in this. Accept the rent will be halves and move on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure