Looming furlough or redundancy advice needed...

Options
james_williamson_6544
james_williamson_6544 Posts: 72 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hello
It seems as if I was living under the rock (figuratively) that I did not know about this marvellous website. I have just created an account and looking for help please 

My work situation is that I have been told that this Friday morning by my employer that my job is no longer needed for the rest of 2020 (minimum) and they will tell me what happens next in my situation (redundancy, furlough, move to another role) sometime in next week.

My question for the forum is, can my employer:
a. Make me redundant even though my job will be needed again in 9-10 months?<br>b. Ask me to use up my annual leave allowance?<br>c. Ask me to take leave without pay (furlough)? What are the minimum and maximum period for leave without pay? Will the period on furlough count towards my length of employment - this is so that if they make me redundant I can correctly calculate my redundancy pay?<br>d. Ask me to take a temporary/permanent paycut?

Other questions I have is:
e. What should I do at this stage to protect myself financially?<br>f. What are my employment rights?

Comments

• epm-84
    epm-84 Posts: 2,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    a. Make me redundant even though my job will be needed again in 9-10 months? <b>Yes, if it's more cost effective for the business. You could ask to take 9-10 months unpaid leave if you'd prefer.</b><br>b. Ask me to use up my annual leave allowance? <b>Yes.</b><br>c. Ask me to take leave without pay (furlough)? What are the minimum and maximum period for leave without pay? Will the period on furlough count towards my length of employment - this is so that if they make me redundant I can correctly calculate my redundancy pay?&nbsp;<b>No minimum or maximum for unpaid leave, unless it states in your contract.&nbsp; You have to confirm with your manager that a period of unpaid leave does not equal a break in contract and be aware that if there's no mention in your contract that the employer doesn't have to agree to it and you can refuse to go on it if your employer suggests it.&nbsp; Also be aware that unpaid leave doesn't automatically make you eligible&nbsp;for the government's furlough scheme, which has to be for 3 weeks to 3 months and not extending beyond 31st May.</b><br>d. Ask me to take a temporary/permanent paycut?&nbsp;Yes but you don't have to agree to it.  However, remember if they say your role is at risk and propose a solution of a pay cut then the alternative might be redundancy.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I doubt the furlough scheme will cover the whole of 2020. I would imagine it will come to an end July/August time. 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure