Breaking up soil.

Hi guys, ive started working on the garden and ive got a few bits to level out. Ive took the top layer of grass off and moved it to the part of the garden that is lower, my only problem now is, its taking me a while to break the chunks of grass/soil into nice soil i can then rake evenly to help level the area im working on.

Is there any tool out there that will help break it up easily so i can then level it out with a rake easier? I know a rotavator is usually recommended but i want something manual, dont like the idea of the rotavator spinning blades really fast and potentially flicking stuff everywhere as a lot of the garden im working on is the front of the house right next to parked cars. 

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,324 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Grass roots are really tough, and they knot together well.  If you have a few months to spare, turn the grass upside-down and leave it to rot down.  Otherwise, you'll be hacking away at the stuff for ages.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • I agree, turn over the sods and allow it breakdown naturally over a couple of months, if this warm and sunny weather continues place these in full sun and it'll happen quicker.
    Breaking them up manually means hacking at them with a spade for the next couple of weeks, both methods work but one is easier than the other !
  • I’m doing the same thing, I got a electric tiller (small rotovator) from screwfix £49.99 it’s still hard work though but it turned my lawn into fine soil to move.
     The question is with what’s going on should I plant vegetables instead of grass seed.
    Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'
  • jamie_128
    jamie_128 Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    So even a rotavator wont break up the grass lumps? I was hoping to have this job done this week not in a few months lol. 
  • No a little tiller will do the job, mines hard work as I’ve have such a difference in levels I have to keep going over the same spot!
    Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'
  • jamie_128
    No a little tiller will do the job, mines hard work as I’ve have such a difference in levels I have to keep going over the same spot!
    Brilliant ive just ordered one from aldi, my garden is so uneven so im hoping to break the soil down and spread it to level the garden a bit. 
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    jamie_128 said: my garden is so uneven so im hoping to break the soil down and spread it to level the garden a bit. 
    A neighbour had an <ahem> uneven garden. Hired a mini digger for the weekend to level things out. Gardening around here is either a gentle pursuit, or an extreme activity  :o
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • jamie_128
    Ours is horrendous its really getting us done, just mounds of grass, hilly bits all over it doesent even make sense, do you think a rotavator will sort this out? i really dont want to have to go the mini digger route? 
  • jamie_128
    I’m doing the same thing, I got a electric tiller (small rotovator) from screwfix £49.99 it’s still hard work though but it turned my lawn into fine soil to move.
     The question is with what’s going on should I plant vegetables instead of grass seed.
    Was your garden all lumpy and hilly in bits? i know ill have to rake the soil for a while after but did it turn all the grass into fine soil so it was easier to move? 
  • Yeah the tiller only goes to a depth of 150 mm it does destroy the turf and loosen the the top soil, of course a digger would be great but I can’t get one round the back of the house nor can I operate one!
    Rotovator would be quicker and dig deeper but I’m not spending that sort of money and hiring one is out out the question ATM, well in my area
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback