We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Vendor won’t complete on fixed completion date
Comments
-
Thank you for that advice, it makes sense to the situation.pinkteapot said:You need proper advice from your solicitor, OP. The process should be that if completion does not take place on the completion date then your solicitor issues a Notice to Complete which gives the vendor a certain number of days (can't remember how many) to complete. Your solicitor can tell you what the penalty is for the vendor if they don't complete. If a buyer fails to complete they lose their deposit. If a vendor fails to complete it's more complex.
Your vendor shouldn't have exchanged on their sale with fixed completion without their new-build being finished. Or, they should have done so with a plan for where they'd live temporarily if the new-build was delayed. New-builds are often delayed even when there's not a pandemic.
I’ve now been told by my solicitor that although a notice to complete can be served they think the court may not favour the application given the current situation in the UK.Unsure where that leaves me since I potentially have no mortgage. I’ll find out next week and post an update to help anyone else in this situation.1 -
There’s remarkably little compensation due to a buyer if the vendor does not complete. If a buyer does not complete within two weeks of the completion notice being served, he loses his deposit as a minimum. In this case, if the seller does not complete, he is liable for the buyer’s costs, which may not amount to much, especially if house prices fall during the time it takes the case to get to court.What the OP should consider is whether he wants to complete. This is an opportunity to get out of a contract that was negotiated before COVID, at the prices prevailing then. Who knows what prices will be in a few months time? Unlikely to be higher.No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?1
-
Hopefully not an issue, but worth noting - if they have a fortune. If they're mortgaged up / FTB / etc, they may not have much.m0bov said:Yo can’t force the sale, but you can sue for losses such as temp accommodation, storage, the difference in resale value should it be aborted. Your vendor stands to loose a fortune.
In any case OP, don't agree to anything without advice (what is your conveyancer saying etc) and especially not without being 100% sure you're okay with the new date (eg. offer is extended) otherwise it'd be the other way round.
As an extra point - presumably they exchanged at the same time with the new build company committed to the date. So is liability then up the chain to them?Peter
Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.0 -
It sometimes helps to look at these things from the other side.
Imagine the seller coming on here and saying something along the lines of "I'm due to complete on my sale next week and my new-build isn't ready because of COVID-19, can I put off completion?"
The advice would without question be to grab the opportunity to sell at the higher price whatever you do. Make sure you comply with every single comma of your contract, it could be decades before you can sell at these prices again.
Move into a hotel, bedsit, short-let or anything else but grab the money while you can.
1 -
Lenders are highly unlikely to leave people such as yourselves high and dry. If not voluntarily then there would be an imposition from above.FirstTime_Buyer said:
Thank you for that advice, it makes sense to the situation.pinkteapot said:You need proper advice from your solicitor, OP. The process should be that if completion does not take place on the completion date then your solicitor issues a Notice to Complete which gives the vendor a certain number of days (can't remember how many) to complete. Your solicitor can tell you what the penalty is for the vendor if they don't complete. If a buyer fails to complete they lose their deposit. If a vendor fails to complete it's more complex.
Your vendor shouldn't have exchanged on their sale with fixed completion without their new-build being finished. Or, they should have done so with a plan for where they'd live temporarily if the new-build was delayed. New-builds are often delayed even when there's not a pandemic.
I’ve now been told by my solicitor that although a notice to complete can be served they think the court may not favour the application given the current situation in the UK.Unsure where that leaves me since I potentially have no mortgage. I’ll find out next week and post an update to help anyone else in this situation.0 -
GDB2222 said:There’s remarkably little compensation due to a buyer if the vendor does not complete. If a buyer does not complete within two weeks of the completion notice being served, he loses his deposit as a minimum. In this case, if the seller does not complete, he is liable for the buyer’s costs, which may not amount to much, especially if house prices fall during the time it takes the case to get to court.
We exchanged early March to complete end of April (not great I know, but that was what the vendor wanted) - now vendor wants 2 month extension as can't move / can't find rented - wants us to agree without any financial loss to him. Solicitor has told us we don't have to agree to amendment but not really sure what the options are
0 -
Do you want to go ahead, or is this a great opportunity to back out of the contract?Flugelhorn said:GDB2222 said:There’s remarkably little compensation due to a buyer if the vendor does not complete. If a buyer does not complete within two weeks of the completion notice being served, he loses his deposit as a minimum. In this case, if the seller does not complete, he is liable for the buyer’s costs, which may not amount to much, especially if house prices fall during the time it takes the case to get to court.
We exchanged early March to complete end of April (not great I know, but that was what the vendor wanted) - now vendor wants 2 month extension as can't move / can't find rented - wants us to agree without any financial loss to him. Solicitor has told us we don't have to agree to amendment but not really sure what the options areYou don’t have to say anything to the vendor except “happy to agree to rescind contract, but not prepared to agree an extension”. This would be on the basis both sides pay their own costs, say, and you’ll get the deposit back. Personally, given the uncertainty ahead, I would regard that as a great outcome.No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?2 -
There’s slightly more information here. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/03/homemovers-impacted-by-coronavirus-to-be-offered-mortgage-extens/Thrugelmir said:
Lenders are highly unlikely to leave people such as yourselves high and dry. If not voluntarily then there would be an imposition from above.FirstTime_Buyer said:
Thank you for that advice, it makes sense to the situation.pinkteapot said:You need proper advice from your solicitor, OP. The process should be that if completion does not take place on the completion date then your solicitor issues a Notice to Complete which gives the vendor a certain number of days (can't remember how many) to complete. Your solicitor can tell you what the penalty is for the vendor if they don't complete. If a buyer fails to complete they lose their deposit. If a vendor fails to complete it's more complex.
Your vendor shouldn't have exchanged on their sale with fixed completion without their new-build being finished. Or, they should have done so with a plan for where they'd live temporarily if the new-build was delayed. New-builds are often delayed even when there's not a pandemic.
I’ve now been told by my solicitor that although a notice to complete can be served they think the court may not favour the application given the current situation in the UK.Unsure where that leaves me since I potentially have no mortgage. I’ll find out next week and post an update to help anyone else in this situation.Still very low on details, and if your own lender is dithering it’s not going to help. I imagine some lenders will be looking for ways to avoid lending as far as possible right now.No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?1 -
Actually quite keen to go ahead just because it has taken forever to find the place - suspect vendor needs to sell for financial reasons. pondering on reluctantly agreeing but looking at price reduction - presumably if they can change the date in a contract they can change the price??GDB2222 said:
Do you want to go ahead, or is this a great opportunity to back out of the contract?Flugelhorn said:GDB2222 said:There’s remarkably little compensation due to a buyer if the vendor does not complete. If a buyer does not complete within two weeks of the completion notice being served, he loses his deposit as a minimum. In this case, if the seller does not complete, he is liable for the buyer’s costs, which may not amount to much, especially if house prices fall during the time it takes the case to get to court.
We exchanged early March to complete end of April (not great I know, but that was what the vendor wanted) - now vendor wants 2 month extension as can't move / can't find rented - wants us to agree without any financial loss to him. Solicitor has told us we don't have to agree to amendment but not really sure what the options areYou don’t have to say anything to the vendor except “happy to agree to rescind contract, but not prepared to agree an extension”. This would be on the basis both sides pay their own costs, say, and you’ll get the deposit back. Personally, given the uncertainty ahead, I would regard that as a great outcome.0 -
A date change is just a simple edit of the contract, whereas a price change means that your mortgage offer may need to be reconsidered...
Two completely different procedures.1
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
