Cutting laminate worktop

My OH is creating a breakfast bar for me this weekend.

We have bought a laminate worktop to match our existing, as it needs to abut an existing piece.

He is really worried about how best to cut this as the abutting side will need to be absolutely perfect. :eek:

Does anyone have any advice/tips about how best to do this...what type of saw etc? He was thinking of using a fretsaw. Even if the advice seems blindingly obvious, please offer it anyway, we may not have thought of it.

Thanks
Thank you for this site :jNow OH and I are both retired, MSE is a Godsend

Comments

• WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154
    Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Firstly you can get special blades for jigsaws that do this - you need to be wary of which way it cuts (practice on a bit that will be scrap) because any saw will cut neater one side of a piece of wood than the other - it depends on the way the teeth are aligned.

Secondly mark the line clearly, and then precut along the line you need neatly finished with a stanley knife in order to get a clean cut in the laminate. Once you've done that you can use your saw on the rubbish side, as close as you can but do not whatever you do go beyond the knife cut line. The knife cut will stop the laminate splintering untidily. Some people suggest sticking a line of masking tape on and knifing and cutting through that (if you have a dark surface it may be hard to see the line clearly and the tape helps stop any slipping on the smooth surface).

Make sure any knife or saw you use is properly sharp as a blunt blade will not cut as cleanly.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • Thanks Weston Dave. That should help him a lot.
    Thank you for this site :jNow OH and I are both retired, MSE is a Godsend
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    i wouldnt use a jigsaw on laminate. i would use a circular saw instead.
    easier to get a straight cut.
    you can get trim pieces in various colors/finishes that fit in between the 2 tops. the trim will take care of minor cutting errors.
    Get some gorm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport