We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:
Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour.
Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
solictor advised not to reduce offer-would you?
Comments
-
we are not deliberately planning to deceit the Sellers. They knew from the start we were using all our funds to meet the agreed sale price. we could see on viewing the windows and heating needed doing but planned on doing these in a couple of years, but after the survey these need doing more urgently. There has also been additional costs as the house is freehold, with a management company for grounds maintenance. This has incurred additional costs from the solictor and the management company for shares etc ( £1000 additional )Davesnave said:
It could be argued that planned gazundering close to the point of exchange is a form of deception.ElefantEd said:greatcrested said:Either buy the house or walk away. Stop prevaricating!
I think you mean "stop procrastinating!" (putting things off). Prevaricating means lying!
we really want the house, but at the same time don't want to simply throwing all of our savings deposit away0 -
I don’t think I have ever agreed with Crashy before but I agree with this. By saying put back on the market cameandgo you make it sound like it currently has a good shot at selling, which over the next few months will not be the case.Crashy_Time said:
What would you gain by doing that in this economic climate?comeandgo said:So far away from exchange I'd tell you to take a hike and put it back on the market.
I was going to comment on the OP but it’s yet another similar thread by them. Just make a decision without starting hundreds of more threads.2 -
I haven't read all the threads but here are my thoughts:
If you request to reduce the price now: The vendors have to consider and decide whether or not to accept - adds another couple of weeks to the transaction. All documentation has to be amended - the contract, the transfer, the mortgage offer. While it may not take too long ordinarily, with the lockdown it will add significantly to the time to get all these documents amended - for example another 4 weeks to get the amendments and signed by the various parties. Think about the Loan To Value. If the reduced price means that the LTV changes, then the lender may want to amend their mortgage offer and not lend you as much. This may mean the lender having to issue a new mortgage offer, however with a 25% deposit this may not be an issue.
If you don't want to go ahead at the price agreed, then pull out now and decide what to do once the lockdown is over and things get back to normal. It might mean that house prices fall, in which case you may get another property at a knock down price - though it could also mean that the value of your own house (not sure if you are a FTB) has fallen too. If you're concerned about job losses, then this might be a factor in deciding whether to go ahead now before having to disclose this to the lender or waiting until things get back to normal and knowing how secure you are financially at that time. It's a decision only you can make, but as your solicitor pointed out, worries about job losses is not your vendors problem and therefore no reason to reduce your offer. If the prospect of a job loss is really concerning you, then look for something cheaper or stay where you are.
2 -
Your Solicitor knows sos all about why you should or shouldn't. They probably can't be bothered redoing all of the paperwork.
Conveyancing is a low profit margin business.
34 Years experience as company Director in Financial services0 -
Whenever anybody buys a property they need to think for themselves as to whether they can cope financially. Quite rightly that's a separate issue as to how much the property is valued at between the two parties involved. Divorce the two issues.peppapig14 said:we are now concerned about the current economic crisis, and asked solictor if concerns about partner potentially losing his job and wanting to keep some of our deposit back for a safety net would potentially result in a price deduction from the Sellers. She advised this is not a sufficient reason to ask for a reduction?0 -
I was going to open my last bag of popcorn there just now but I think I will keep it for post number 7 during the week.2
-
“ If the reduced price means that the LTV changes, then the lender may want to amend their mortgage offer and not lend you as much. ”Isn’t that a good thing, to pay less for the property and owe less money?No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?0
-
In the current climate, changing your mortgage offer, will be significantly longer than usual and no guarantee products will be beneficial. lenders are withdrawing products and putting up interest rates due to the current risk appetiteGDB2222 said:“ If the reduced price means that the LTV changes, then the lender may want to amend their mortgage offer and not lend you as much. ”Isn’t that a good thing, to pay less for the property and owe less money?
Up to the op risking the following
1: Vendor telling the to foxtrot oscar
2: Lender telling them we no longer lend or we will lend but your interest rates will be higher"It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP1 -
it is YOUR purchase and your offer. Nothing to do with that solicitor if this is in England. If you have not exchanged you can do as you please! I just pulled out of my purchase (BTL) because the risk was too great and any offer to reduce - may not be enough / would be embarrassing
so I just walked away until times are more certain0 -
Oh please ! Id have fun drafting the indictment for that !! NOTDavesnave said:
It could be argued that planned gazundering close to the point of exchange is a form of deception.ElefantEd said:greatcrested said:Either buy the house or walk away. Stop prevaricating!
I think you mean "stop procrastinating!" (putting things off). Prevaricating means lying!
Its not deception fgs but its a bit underhand0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.2K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.8K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

