Charged FOUR times in famous toyshop

Two weeks ago I went shopping in a famous toyshop in London's Regent Street using my debit card. The assistant on the till did not know how to work the till properly and called a supervisor who equally had no idea how the till worked. She also told me that the debit card machine did not produce slips for the transactions she was doing (a total lie). I ended up being charged FOUR times for one transaction. Getting my money back has been a huge nightmare. They do not have any kind of customer service department, it is not possible to telephone the store and I have left message after message after message with their call centre.
Be warned. If you shop there, use cash or check your bank or credit card statement very carefully.
I won't be shopping there again.
My other option is to dispute the payments with my bank, but they say I have to go to my branch in person and collect a visa dispute form - not easy when I'm at work all day.

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,234
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Tuesday wrote: »
    My other option is to dispute the payments with my bank, but they say I have to go to my branch in person and collect a visa dispute form - not easy when I'm at work all day.

I suggest you call your bank again and tell them about this wonderful new invention: the postal system! Or is this their way of reducing their postal budget?
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hi Tuesday

This is so annoying. :eek:Years ago when my kids were very small this happened to me in Superdrug. I was charged twice for some perfume. To get my money back was so time consuming, and my children were so small, that I just gave up. The logic of the argument should be enough though. Why would you make the same purchase 4 times within minutes of each other - makes no sense. Don't give up.:money: Write to the store and get compensation too. Consumer revenge.....keep us posted
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,306
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes Tuesday, setmefree2 has given you some good advice.
    Don't bother trying to ring [strike]Hamleys[/strike] the store. Don't bother trying to get to your bank in person (are they not open Sat morning?). Write directly to [strike]Hamleys[/strike] the store stating what is wrong and what you expect them to do about it.
  • Bamber19
    Bamber19 Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    it's not really much of a warning unless you name the shop
    Bought, not Brought
  • its rather obvious isn't it?
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    greektony wrote: »
    its rather obvious isn't it?

It won't be obvious to a lot of people. As surprising as it may seem I doubt everyone has heard of Hamleys. But the point is why didn't the OP simply say the shop name instead of masking it in clues. And it's easier to remember this thread being relevant with the actual name of the shop rather than the street name.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Name them and shame them that's what I say;):p:rotfl:
  • KILL_BILL
    KILL_BILL Posts: 2,183 Forumite
    too true

ring up and get the name of the cheif executive and write and complain. State if you dont receive a detailed explanation and compensation then you will write a letter to the sun and the news of the world etc

that should make them gets their !!!!!! into gear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport