PPI Tax Refund from HMRC not as expected!

Options
Hi all - I completed the R40 and i don't think HMRC have got my refund correct.
I had 3 successful PPI claims and had £904.63 taken as 20% tax. I recieved £169.44 interest from other savings that year, therfore under the £1,000 allowance. However HRMC have only refunded £165.39, when they took £904 and i was £831 under the threshold.
HMRC are saying this is correct as they have followed procedure and this is income tax. This can't be right surely?

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,866 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What other income did you have in the year ?
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    Sounds correct to me.

Looks like you can have £1,000 interest taxed at 0%.  You had used £169 from other untaxed interest leaving £831 to be taxed at 0% instead of 20%.  Saving you £166.

The rest of your interest would be taxed at 20%, which is what the PPI company would have deducted.

The above assumes you aren't a higher rate payer and aren't on a low income either when the savings starter rate of £5,000 taxed at 0% would come into play.
  • cagedtony
    Options
    Thanks for both your comments, i work full time at the the normal lower rate tax. I guess i don't see this as 'income' as such, as it was money owed to me. But what you say makes sense, i just thought that i had £904 taken that they shouldn't. Never mind, I still have an extra £165 thanks to Martin Lewis.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure