Forum Home » Credit Cards

Credit Card Fraud, Again - Advice?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Credit Card Fraud, Again - Advice?

12 replies 392 views
Prometheus_98Prometheus_98 Forumite
7 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hello all
Hope you are all keeping safe.
Just looking for some comments and advice here. Just had to call the bank, BOS, to have my card cancelled due to three transaction attempts over the past three days. All declined as card was on 'freeze' This will not be my 4th card since the end of last year. One of the transaction attempts came from the same location, a skatepark in the US, which was closed quite a few years ago. What gives with that? The transaction attempt was for £.00. Got the same transaction at the beginning of the year. Rarely use my card, bought new laptop a month ago, used only for shopping (not a lot) Most transactions via PayPal. Just looking for comments to help[ put my mind at ease. Random attempts or someone targeting?
Thank you.
Gary

Replies

• born_againborn_again Forumite
    2.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fraudsters are not the brightest sparks. They like to use the same test retailers. Very often in the USA. Zero is just the retailer checking the card details are correct.
    There was a run over the last couple of years where they were using retailers like "agwreggqaert" basically it looked like a random batch of letters. 

TBH. You are getting hit a lot more than we would usually expect. Is there any retailer you use a lot either online (but not via paypal) or local?
    If you are using paypal, then that will not be the point of compromise. Unless the transactions are showing in your paypal account. Paypal like amazon do not show the full card no. So no way can they pick it up that way.

Do you use your credit cards rather then debit cards? 

Must really be frustrating for you and bears out that changing your card in the last thread is pointless, given you now have it on another card.
  • brianposterbrianposter Forumite
    604 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Sounds like you should read your first thread again and tell your card provider to stop giving out your new card number to anybody.
    2.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you should read your first thread again and tell your card provider to stop giving out your new card number to anybody.
    So, 1st thread is about Tesco..
    This is BOS.
    Banks do not share card details between themselves.
    604 posts
    ✭✭
    This is BOS.

I thought it was you that pointed out the problems caused by Visa card updating.
  • maxximus75maxximus75 Forumite
    326 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    I would say look closer to home..... like your computer.
    You will probably find with a good scan, it could be laden with all sorts of nasties recording your online details/purchases.

2.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is BOS.

I thought it was you that pointed out the problems caused by Visa card updating.
    Visa Account updater is used by retailers who have recurring payments set up. Not by anyone else.
  • Prometheus_98Prometheus_98 Forumite
    7 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi all
    Thanks for your comments. Never use my debit card online, always credit. Also always use PayPal and Amazon whenever I can. I did use my card direct without going through Paypal (there was an error on the Paypal screen) recently and pretty sure the last time too. Going to check up on this. As I mentioned in my started post, brand new laptop all bang up to date, scanned and only used for shopping, which was not a lot.
    Anyway, thanks all, will just struggle through. It is a little frustrating to say the least.
    Thanks again and everyone please keep safe.
    Gary
  • edited 6 April at 1:53PM
    brianposterbrianposter Forumite
    604 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 6 April at 1:53PM

Visa Account updater is used by retailers who have recurring payments set up. Not by anyone else.
    Why would that rule out an updater as being part of the problem ?

2.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭

Why would that rule out an updater as being part of the problem ?

Because as per my 1st post & OP's previous thread which was fraud to Tesco. This is to BOS. So different card providers. BOS is also Mastercard  and Tesco is Visa.
    VaU is only used by retailers to update card details for recurring transaction (if they pay for it) and not card providers, so BOS would not know Tesco number even if they were both Visa.

Example: We often see fraud to NowTv who use VaU. this means that they get the new card number (they do a weekly run). So as it is a recurring transaction you can see it on the new card. It is not new fraud, just a case of card details being updated. So our process to stop this is to use VaU to block them from getting the new card number. Just the same as if a customer says they do not want any further payments to go to them. :)
    604 posts
    ✭✭
    However the OP says that he has had four cards in 3 months. An updater may explain some of the additional cards ?