We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:
Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour.

Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Changing Mortgage offer FTB

Hi all,
Ok I've been waiting almost a year on purchasing a house for one reason or another (all to do with stuff in the chain, I've been ready ages). It's now almost ready to go with an exchange and completion on the same day this month.
I'm a FTB with 10% deposit on a flat worth £170,000. My mortgage offer is in place and is at a decent rate but it's only for 2 years.
It's hard to get hold of anyone at the minute (e.g. Mortgage broker) - I'm thinking due to this economic uncertainty 2 years is not long enough, if prices do drop I could get stuck on the SVR rate. Yes I can afford it, but why would I want to pay extra interest if I can avoid it! 

Question is - how straight forward would it be to extend that 2 years to 5 years? Is it a whole new mortgage offer (which I'm guessing WONT get accepted as Nationwide have massively cut down on the mortgage offers they are doing) or could it be more straightforward then that?

Thanks in advance


Comments

  • Nationwide will not lend money now with a 10% deposit (I switched to another lender for the same reason) and others will do the same in the next days/weeks. Switching the fixed term is a matter to switch the mortgage product which should be easy job if communicated before the mortgage offer has been generated. The sooner you communicate this the better I'd say.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.