Installing a washing machine (with pictures)

Options
Hi 

I have just moved into a new house, and am trying to fit my washing machine into this vacant spot where the previous washing machine was. Hoping that I could just run this picture past somebody knowledgeable:

The pipe with the blue clip goes to the dishwasher (which the previous occupant left in-place). The pipe with the red clip has nothing connecting to it, and I think I should connect the blue hose on the back of the washing machine to the pipe next to the red clip (I'll have to remove the hexagonal terminating bolt first.) Red has always meant hot water to me, but looking at the pipework, I can't see how there could be hot and cold water, and I think it's all cold water. I guess the red clip is a bit of a bodge that has been done at some point, but I just wanted to see what others thought, before I pipe blazing hot water into the washing machine and shrink all my clothes! :)

Thanks for the help all!

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm with you , 2 valves in a pack , one blue and one red . The red one is isolating the cold supply to both
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 April 2020 at 4:11PM
    Options
    Hi 

I have just moved into a new house, and am trying to fit my washing machine into this vacant spot where the previous washing machine was. Hoping that I could just run this picture past somebody knowledgeable:

The pipe with the blue clip goes to the dishwasher (which the previous occupant left in-place). The pipe with the red clip has nothing connecting to it, and I think I should connect the blue hose on the back of the washing machine to the pipe next to the red clip (I'll have to remove the hexagonal terminating bolt first.) Red has always meant hot water to me, but looking at the pipework, I can't see how there could be hot and cold water, and I think it's all cold water. I guess the red clip is a bit of a bodge that has been done at some point, but I just wanted to see what others thought, before I pipe blazing hot water into the washing machine and shrink all my clothes! :)

Thanks for the help all!
    Its a bodge job. You can connect the hose to the red marked valve when the large hex is removed. Its all cold supply.

But if you have to turn the washing machine off the dishwasher does not get a water supply either.

I would turn the red valve to off. Remove the small hex stop at the top pipe and screw as per link below, new valve into the brass coupling and connect W/M. turn red valve on and leave on. You will then have separate valves for both machines.

Cost £1:37

https://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-valve-without-check-valve-15mm-x/51231
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hasbeen said:

Its a bodge job. You can connect the hose to the red marked valve when the large hex is removed. Its all cold supply.

But if you have to turn the washing machine off the dishwasher does not get a water supply either.

I would turn the red valve to off. Remove the small hex stop at the top pipe and screw as per link below, new valve into the brass coupling and connect W/M. turn red valve on and leave on. You will then have separate valves for both machines.

Cost £1:37

https://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-valve-without-check-valve-15mm-x/51231
    No, they are T pieces so the red & blue taps only turn off the T. Turn either off & the other will be fine.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 April 2020 at 4:44PM
    Options

No, they are T pieces so the red & blue taps only turn off the T. Turn either off & the other will be fine.
    Thanks stand corrected, its the way it was left in the open position and stop connected that threw me.   :)
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • starryNight45
    Options
    Thanks Browntoa
  • starryNight45
    Options
    Thanks Hasbeen
  • starryNight45
    Options
    Thanks EssexExile
  • starryNight45
    Options
    I'm going to have a go at it today. Wish me luck! :)
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks Browntoa
    Thanks Hasbeen
    Thanks EssexExile
    No need to thank people individually. Just click on the Thanks icon under their posts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure