Can I get the Self employed grant?

hi, I’m a self employed joiner. I rent a workshop that doesn’t require me to pay business rates. Will I get the £10k grant from the council? Also I haven’t made much profit over the last 3 years, an average of £7k. I’m unable to work because of COVID19, already on UC, not a clue what’s happening, please help!


  • edited 31 March 2020 at 11:51PM
    Jeremy535897Jeremy535897 Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 31 March 2020 at 11:51PM
    Is your rent all inclusive or are you paying no rates because of small business rate relief or rural rate relief? If your rent is all inclusive then you won't qualify for the grant from the council. They should write to you in due course if you are potentially entitled to it.
    You should also be invited by HMRC to apply for the self employed grant. If you are eligible (by meeting all the conditions), you would get about £1,400 based on £7,000 a year taxable trading profits, as the scheme currently stands.
  • HermannHermann Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    If you don't pay business rates or receive business rate relief then no those cash grants aren't available.

    Check the eligibility/payments of the self employed income support scheme to see if 80% of past profits available.

    Otherwise it's just UC.
  • at1301at1301 Forumite
    12 Posts
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you for your fast reply. We don’t pay rates because the workshop isn’t big enough as far I’m aware? Does that sound right? Maybe it is included in the rent, I’ll double check 👍🏻
  • HermannHermann Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    You'd know if you were responsible for business rates, you'd have an account direct with your local council.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals