Key worker furlough

anasousaanasousa Forumite
3 Posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hello, I hope you can help me. The company I work for decided to reduce the store's opening hours and the shift I have  worked for the past 10 years is no longer available. I  am classed as a key worker and my employer wants me to work different hours on a different location. I am unable to work the hours I have been asked because of childcare. I have a 2 year old son, not yet in nursery or childminder. Am I elegible for the furlough scheme? Can the employer force me to work different hours on short notice using the pandemic as a reason? If not elegible for furlough am I entitled to redudancy pay? Thanking you all in advance for the advice. 

Replies

• LilElvisLilElvis Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    What does your contract say about your hours? Does it specify that you work is between x and y o'clock, or that you work xx hours per week? You aren't being furloughed because work is available and you aren't being made redundant because they are still offering you your job.
  • mattyprice4004mattyprice4004 Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to add, furlough is ALWAYS option on the part of the employer - it's a voluntary scheme, they don't have to do it for anyone. :) 
  • anasousaanasousa Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    The contract says 40 hours.... however I have been told on another recent occasion, when i  wanted to change my shift pattern, that because I have been doing those hours for x long those were my contracted hours. The store is operating different hours and my shift was ceased... at least for now. It seems there is a different understanding to the contract according to whatever benefits the employer.... 
  • anasousaanasousa Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Just to add, furlough is ALWAYS option on the part of the employer - it's a voluntary scheme, they don't have to do it for anyone. :) 
    I do understand that! But they will need to do something right? Lay off, redundancy, furlough 
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals