Furlough Help please

I was made redundant on Friday 21st March. I just worked for a small company myself and my boss, only been there a few months. I work part time and wanted to be at home with the kids anyway so tbh just took it on the chin. Later that evening it was announced about the furlough policy.

Now I know it cannot be applied for yet, it is coming out at end of April which was when I was next supposed to get paid anyway so not in a massive rush. I just want to know what needs to be done in the meantime and if it is possible? I spoke to my boss today and she said she will apply for it when the time comes but doesn't know if she can take me back still after which I totally get. It is unpredictable! I have read on 'peoples management' that they do not have to commit to taking you back and that I need to be on the payroll. If my P45 has been issued by her accountant (I don't have it  yet) Is it still possible to be furloughed? 

tackling credit card debt starting Feb 2020
HSBC £3400 £3251
Santander £4400 £4188
Fluid £650 £330

Emergency fund £580/£1000

Replies

• Jeremy535897Jeremy535897 Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think you are precisely in the situation envisaged by this guidance:

"If you were made redundant after 28 February

Your employer can agree to re-employ you and place you on furlough instead. They’ll still be able to claim a grant to cover 80% of your monthly earnings, up to a monthly cap of £2,500."

• cthorburn87cthorburn87 Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    If you have a constant salary, the amount you that can be claimed on furlough is based on your salary at 28th Feb 2020. 
    If your pay varies then it's the higher of the same month the previous year or average over 2019-2020. Is the 'same month the previous year' option also based on Feb? I.e Feb 2019 or would it be march 2019 then April 2019 then May 2019?
    Thanks! 
  • HermannHermann Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    The sooner your old employer rehires you the better, don't leave it until late April.
  • jagger86jagger86 Forumite
    111 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks so I have to tell her to "rehire" me then I assume put in writing I am being furloughed. Then wait until end of April to apply for the grant for it?
    tackling credit card debt starting Feb 2020
    HSBC £3400 £3251
    Santander £4400 £4188
    Fluid £650 £330

Emergency fund £580/£1000
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    You need to be rehired, then make an agreement to be furloughed.
    You don't claim anything, you get paid 80% as normal through PAYE.

The employer makes a claim for a refund  when the portal is available, supposedly late April.
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Rehire now, not late April.

• ShedelaneyShedelaney Forumite
    9 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I was issued a letter on Friday telling me I would be put on Furlough leave from 30th March, I’ve not been asked to sign a copy and the letter implied I might be made redundant once this is over due to insufficient work. I am a business development manager for retail for a wholesale company, we have been extremely busy and although I’ve not been going out seeing customers there’s plenty for me to do! I feel the company is using this opportunity to get rid of me as I’ve had an ongoing grievance since Oct 2019 and likely it will go to tribunal as I have now asked for Subject Access Request.
    Question - I receive car allowance each month, will I still receive this from the company?
    If I’m the only sales person and have hundreds of customers to manage, do they have a valid reason to make me redundant?
    Would it be grounds for unfair dismissal?
    Do I need to sign a letter to agree to Furlough and if I don’t because they’ve not requested me to, what implications would come from it?
    Sorry so many questions.
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs