Social Distancing at work

DD1877DD1877 Forumite
14 Posts
10 Posts
MoneySaving Newbie
I really want people's advice, my employer really isn't adhering to the 2m rule at all, to be honest more like 2cm, I have tried saying something to my line manager but it's laughed off, the company just doesn't seem to care even though it's website paints a different picture, is there anyway of reporting them to the appropriate authority because this mentality needs to change immediately

Replies

• edited 31 March 2020 at 9:12PM
    7Phil7Phil Forumite
    489 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 31 March 2020 at 9:12PM
    You are entitled to feel safe at your workplace. You have a right that your employer will provide you a safe environment to work.
    It's not a laughing matter. The government guidelines are clear. These rules must be adhered to.

It's the same situation if an employer waves a chainsaw around your face while you are working. You have grounds to bring a claim against them under OH&S rules.
    I understand this puts you in a bad position if your employer is not respecting that but you need to hold your ground.

You have a right to refuse to work if you feel unsafe. If your employer dismisses you for not following orders and you have been there for >2 years then you have a strong case for unfair dismissal.

I recommend you request a formal meeting with your employer and outline your concerns here. State the rules are clear and must be adhered to. If you have a higher up boss (above your manager) take it to them. Failing that seek professional legal advice (free or paid).
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whether distancing can be achieved in the workplace hinges on whether it is actually possible. You give no idea about whether it would be achievable or not
  • 7Phil7Phil Forumite
    489 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Whether distancing can be achieved in the workplace hinges on whether it is actually possible. You give no idea about whether it would be achievable or not
    I'd argue that if it is not possible to work while keeping to the guidance (such as the 2m distance rule) then the employer needs to make adjustments or are unable to operate.
    Health and safety are not something that can be compromised on. Employees have protections under law and that is firm and clear.
  • DD1877DD1877 Forumite
    14 Posts
    10 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    It is definitely possible it's some other employees including mangers and one senior manager this morning just not bothering too do it,  the whole self distancing process needs to be enforced, if it's not possible to social distance as per the government advice then the business should not be operating
  • DD1877DD1877 Forumite
    14 Posts
    10 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I think they are just looking at the pound signs instead of staff welfare
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you