Home insurance - reduced cover after auto-renewal - advice needed

Options
I recently noticed that the cover provided on my home insurance has reduced significantly after letting it auto-renew. I know its not good practice to let insurance auto-renew, but in this case it has, and I am interested to see if anyone has any advice regarding possible avenues of complaints that might be successful, or any advice on what to do in this situation.

Originally when I took out the policy, the contents cover was insured at £50,000, with a high risk total limit of £3,500, and single-item limit of £1,500. This policy cost around £300.
The policy recently auto-renewed for around £550, but I have since noticed that the contents cover is now only £15,000, with a high risk limit of £750, and a single item limit of £1,500.

I am shocked that the can reduce the cover so substantially compared to the policy I originally took out. It is also confusing that the high risk limit is lower than the single item limit.

Has anyone else experienced this, or have any advice on how to persue a complaint and what to expect? If there is no clear way to pursue a complaint then at least this can be an egregious example of the reasons for not allowing insurance to auto-renew.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
     I know its not good practice to let insurance auto-renew,

Its perfectly fine if the policy is suitable.    

d I am interested to see if anyone has any advice regarding possible avenues of complaints that might be successful, or any advice on what to do in this situation.

A complaint is an accusation of wrongdoing.    So, what have the insurer done wrong?   that is how you focus a complaint by stating what you believe they have done wrong.

I am shocked that the can reduce the cover so substantially compared to the policy I originally took out. It is also confusing that the high risk limit is lower than the single item limit.

Any policy adjustments of that type would normally be in the cover letter or would tell you to read about the changes in a flyer or similar.

A drop from £50k to £15k seems rather strange.  This seems to suggest that its not a bedroom rated policy but a sum insured policy.  And as it is you that sets the sum insured, there is no reason why it would be reduced unless you asked for it.  So, maybe that is an approach you can take?

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure