Is this asbestos or just plaster board? How do i repair?

Options
Someone has glued the fire alarm to the ceiling on a block of wood and it was bugging me.

So i ripped it down and all of this stuff came with it and has left an orange mark on the ceiling. 

I am guessing it is just plaster board? but i have bad anxiety and really worrying about this now.. :(

How do i repair it please?

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Looks like plaster to me. It's a different question what sort of surface was plastered.
    Plasterboard is white inside.

• Murmansk
    Murmansk Posts: 933 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 30 March 2020 at 9:39PM
    Options
    It's not the world's biggest hole! Put some filler it and smooth it with a suitable tool or the edge of an old credit card. Let it dry, do it again if it needs it. Sand it smooth with sandpaper wrapped round a bit of wood. Paint it.
    To me it looks like plasterboard with a skim of finishing plaster and the yellow stuff looks like Gorilla Glue or foam from a can.
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If it in the house then there is a 99% chance it is plasterboard.tap it and if you get a hollow sound it,s plasterboard then just do as Murmansk has said
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    grumbler said: Plasterboard is white inside.
    Finished putting some plasterboard up a few weeks back - The stuff was pink behind the paper covering. Most plasterboard is white, it just depends on who the manufacturer is.
    Polyfilla will fix the hole the OP has. With a bit of care, the repair should be invisible once painted.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • AdventureRocks
    Options
    Murmansk said:
    It's not the world's biggest hole! Put some filler it and smooth it with a suitable tool or the edge of an old credit card. Let it dry, do it again if it needs it. Sand it smooth with sandpaper wrapped round a bit of wood. Paint it.
    To me it looks like plasterboard with a skim of finishing plaster and the yellow stuff looks like Gorilla Glue or foam from a can.
    Why would there gorilla glue or foam behind the plaster? Curious :smile:
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,867 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Murmansk said:
    Why would there gorilla glue or foam behind the plaster? Curious :smile:
    Probably because somebody before you had ripped down a bit of the plasterboard then glued it back in place for the same reason!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure