Childcare & furlough

Options
I usually work 3 days but since the closure of schools & nurseries I have had to stay at home to look after my two young children. I am not a key worker but my current workplace in self storage is still open but with reduced hours & staffing. 

They have refused to put me on furlough because they say the work is still available. However I have no one to look after my children as family are all in isolation. 

My colleagues have had their days reduced from 5 to 3 so no more than 2 people can work at one time but with the same pay. I on the other hand have been told to take it unpaid or use annual leave. However this could go on for months yet.

I feel completely lost and don’t know my rights regarding this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated 😊

Comments

• sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

They can't put you on furlough as they still have the work as they say.  Unfortunately, your child care issues are not your employers, they have to make reasonable adjustments but that is all. However, if you are caring for someone that is self isolating then you can claim SSP now. 

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

If needed look at eligibility for Universal Credit https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/

There are online calculators to help you assess entitlement  https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Be aware that claiming UC will end any Tax Credits, Housing Benefit or other means tested benefits you currently get.

You will be excluded from UC if you have savings over £16,000.

You may also be able to claim Council Tax Reduction from your local council.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 March 2020 at 6:53PM
    Options
    sharpe106 said:

However, if you are caring for someone that is self isolating then you can claim SSP now. 

Only if household quarantine has been advised. Not always the case.
    And it would only be for 14 days
  • stacylouise80
    Options
    Thank you for your comments. I was wondering if the fact that because work is still available that is why I cannot be put on furlough. However Martin Lewis did say this week that if you can’t go to work because you have childcare issues you can actually be furloughed. Yes it’s the companies discretion but with everything going on it just seems the fair thing to do. My workplace has reduced its hours and staffing because the work has gone very quiet. They have gone from 4 people to only 2 members of staff in at one time so I’m not sure how that would work anyway. 
  • gary83
    gary83 Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 30 March 2020 at 8:48PM
    Options
    Thank you for your comments. I was wondering if the fact that because work is still available that is why I cannot be put on furlough. However Martin Lewis did say this week that if you can’t go to work because you have childcare issues you can actually be furloughed. Yes it’s the companies discretion but with everything going on it just seems the fair thing to do. My workplace has reduced its hours and staffing because the work has gone very quiet. They have gone from 4 people to only 2 members of staff in at one time so I’m not sure how that would work anyway. 
    Martin Lewis and others in the media have been pretty irresponsible and should have been clearer, to qualify for furlough you must meet the eligibility criteria;

If you and your employer both agree, your employer might be able to keep you on the payroll if they’re unable to operate or have no work for you to do because of coronavirus (COVID-19). This is known as being ‘on furlough’.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if-you-could-be-covered-by-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme#check-if-youre-eligible

The above eligibility criteria is the opening lines of the government guidance. It makes you eligible for furlough if the employer is unable to operate, not the employee, Childcare problems are irrelevant. furlough is meant to protect the business not provide payment for childcare, the government’s attempt to address the childcare issue was to keep some schools open. 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure