How much notice must I give to access the company redundancy policy?

Some say I'm being too over cautious but I'm just trying to plan for the worse case scenario. As the COVID19 started to become more and more prominent in the media myself and other colleagues in the office, Started wondering about the future of our business and what would happen if things went south. We discussed our concerns with management and members of our HR department and was assured that the company is working hard to review all options available to protect jobs and the business. Which is great but someone asked if the possibilitiy if redundancies were being reviewed to which we were told there would be no redundancies "in fact it cant happen as it would cost the company too much!" Don't worry about it. (Famous last words) but I was brought up to always have a backup plan just incase. (Its better to have it, and not need it. than need it and not have it) So  I reviewed my contract to find out. if the unfortunate happens, what is my redundancy package? And in it, it states that I should view the redundancy policy. I've gone through our company hand book which has all our company policies and procedures except redundancies. I've asked management if I can get a copy and have been told they've spoke to "someone" and I'm waiting to get a reply. I waited a few days and no one got back to me. So I emailed our HR department and asked if they could send me a copy, again no response. This was 3 weeks ago. Since then our office has been closed and many of our stores have been shut as part of the "lockdown" and now were being put on furlough. I'm worried if our business doesn't recover before the end of the governments job retention scheme we'll be made redundant. But I don't know what the policy is. Some of my colleagues have said we'll get a months salary for every year worked others have said it's only statuary redundancy which is just a weeks salary. So my question is.  is there an official time limit for companies to respond to a formal request of information?

Comments

• buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You can assume it'll be the legal minimum, not even worth hoping for more.

You only qualify for statutory redundancy pay if you’ve worked for your employer for at least 2 years

If you're furloughed consider that already a good thing, many are not even getting that.

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,453
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Bothering HR about something that appears not to be on the horizon might accelerate you to number one if redundancies become a reality
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,808
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
     Some of my colleagues have said we'll get a months salary for every year worked others have said it's only statuary redundancy which is just a weeks salary. So my question is.  is there an official time limit for companies to respond to a formal request of information?
    As is regularly pointed out on here, so called voluntary redundancy technically doesn't exist. If your post (not a person) is genuinely redundant, then the post holder can be removed just by paying the statutory minimums.

Anything else is a mutually agree separation and the terms are whatever the parties can agree on. Whilst they may have internal policies they are under no obligation to share them with you. All kinds of factors may influence how much or how little they offer different individuals and there is no requirement for it to be the same formula for everybody. 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure