Can't cancel sky via email, has anyone had success via post?

Hi am trying to cancel sky on behalf of my parents who are unwell. I wrote on their behalf to a public facing email on 24th March, their next bill is due 24th April. The 3 subsequent different Sky addresses I found all bounced back, including the one I found on here for referring complaints to the Chief Exec.

Is it possible to print off the first email as proof of date first issued, and write a letter confirming this as final confirmation of cancellation? If so what would this need to contain?

Many thanks for any help.
(yes we have tried phone and webchat, but no-one answers for hours and hours and my parents can't afford the calls, or the stress)

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Are they out of contract ?? If not they will need to pay the balance remaining months .
    If out of contract 30 days notice required .
    Is this cancel to include phone line and number  .
    As with many services they are taking advice re Corona and have only skeleton staff .
  • justcheckin
    justcheckin Posts: 114 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    JJ_Egan said:
    Are they out of contract ?? If not they will need to pay the balance remaining months .
    If out of contract 30 days notice required .
    Is this cancel to include phone line and number  .
    As with many services they are taking advice re Corona and have only skeleton staff .
    Thanks for your response. As they emailed on 24th March, this is 30 days notice?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 March 2020 at 4:21PM
    What did they email ??
    Out of contract yes/ no
    You give 30 days notice .
    If they accepted cancellation and you are out of contract  then a written posted letter headed complaint .
    Setting out   when you actually cancelled .
  • takethemon
    takethemon Posts: 139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper
    I am out of contract and have been trying to cancel since Friday.
    You are unable to cancel online, you get a message to phone them, even though there is a preceding message online not to phone them!
    After phoning you get an automated text questionnaire requesting account details and then they say they are too busy they will be in contact.
    Got the same message yesterday and today.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If its Sky TV click on the yes button on this page under where it says do you want to cancel Sky TV.

https://www.sky.com/help/home/your-account/my-account-and-subscription/cancelling/cancel-my-subscription/cancel-sky-tv/articles/cancel-sky-tv

It looks like they are giving live chat as an avenue to use for cancelling (though it does state "You need to be the named Sky account holder to cancel an account."

If not use the email contact form instead, or email them at mysky@sky.uk. Or even better, put it in writing to them (Sky Subscriber Services Ltd, PO Box 43, Livingston, EH54 7DD)

Just make sure you include all the relevant account details, the fact you are out of contract etc.  It does state "We can’t cancel your Sky services until we’ve confirmed you’re the authorised account holder, so we may need to call you back to process your request. Don't worry, your notice period will start from the date we receive your letter or email."
  • Thank you mac.d!
  • vixg66
    vixg66 Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I’ve emailed 4 times and tweeted with no response. I’ve paid up my Sky mobile phone contract today and moved to a Plusnet sim only deal for £6.50pm. I’ve also moved my broadband from Sky to Plusnet as I’m in the 31 day cooling off period. I have a free view box that I’m going to connect to the main TV and Plusnet are doing YouView boxes for £5 a month so I’ll get one of those for the bedroom.  I’m done with Sky now. I’m paid up for this month with Sky (£90 pm) and have cancelled my direct debits with them. My TV, BB and mobile will now cost me £34.50 pm (or £29.50 if I don’t get YouView) so Sky have done me a favour by ignoring me really.
  • vixg66
    vixg66 Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I’ve finally managed to speak to someone at Sky. I did it by choosing sky mobile as the reason for calling. The woman who answered (almost immediately) was trained to handle all calls so was able to officially cancel mobile, broadband and tv packages. She said they usually have 1000 people in the call centre and they’re currently down to around 40 people.
  • JSmithy45AD
    JSmithy45AD Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    vixg66 said:
    I’ve finally managed to speak to someone at Sky. I did it by choosing sky mobile as the reason for calling. The woman who answered (almost immediately) was trained to handle all calls so was able to officially cancel mobile, broadband and tv packages. She said they usually have 1000 people in the call centre and they’re currently down to around 40 people.
    And did you apologise for your previous post on here claiming they're ignoring you?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure