The Value of Building an Emergency Fund (EF)

Willing2Learn
Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
edited 31 March 2020 at 10:06PM in Debt-free wannabe
We get loads of people posting their Statement of Affairs (SOAs) that do not budget something toward their EF each month.  It is just so important and really is an essential component of most successful monthly budgets.

The benefits of an EF have probably become most obvious during the current COVID-19 crisis.  Many of us are not currently able to work and have a reduced monthly income.  Some of you will sadly have fallen through the gaps of the government support packages for PAYE and the self-employed.  Those folks that have squirrelled away a respectable EF will still be able to pay their priority bills, other additional contractual obligations, plus normal grocery shopping.  In an ideal world your EF 'buffer' means that the payment of all those monthly expenses can continue for six months (with or without your normal income).  Obviously, this may not be a realistic target for some of you.  But whatever you can afford each month should ideally be saved toward your EF.  After all, any buffer is better than no buffer.  :)

For those of you that are beginning their debt-busting journey, an EF is still vital.   You can still grow an EF while making your agreed debt repayments.  In fact, creditors will expect their customers to budget something each month toward their EF.  So it is considered perfectly reasonable to be allocating part of your budget towards it.  Building and having an EF while paying off your debts, means that when the unexpected happens (eg car repairs, boiler maintenance etc), you will have the available funds to pay for these repairs without having to resort to any line of credit.  :)

Edit:  I hope this does not come across as too preachy.  I am basically self-isolating and am incredibly bored.  So I thought I would post something that is (hopefully) useful to some of you.
I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:

Comments

• EimearF
    EimearF Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 29 March 2020 at 1:34PM
    Great post.
    I am so glad I have my buffer in place it has prevented the uncertainties from overwhelming me because I know have enough to live off for a bit. 

Stay safe everyone - press pause of the debt busting and focus on ensuring you have food, heat and shelter. Everything else can wait until this storm passes, which it will. 
    - I should add, agree any payment breaks with your lender dont just cancel the direct debit. 
    Light Bulb Moment 13/09/17: Non- Mortgage Debt £42295; 01/04/19: £13645; 01/10/19: £9707; 01/11/19: £5525; 14/01/20: £883
    27/01/20: DEBT FREE!!!

Mortgage Free Wannabee: £58595 to pay by August 2025
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Good advice, and always worth repeating.

I too have been self isolating, but now my symptoms have cleared up, i have been summoned back to work.

The joys of been an essential worker.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have so much to learn!  How did you build up your emergency fund before you started your DMP?  At the moment every spare penny of ours is swallowed up by the debt repayments.  One of my worries about a DMP is something cropping up and not having the money to pay for it.  It would be great to know how much you can put in an emergency fund when you are on a DMP too.
  • Galloglass
    Galloglass Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    We get loads of people posting their Statement of Affairs (SOAs) that do not budget something toward their EF each month.  It is just so important and really is an essential component of most successful monthly budgets.
    This is a standard part of the Christians against Poverty approach which appears to be different from the other charities. 
    • All land is owned. If you are not on yours, you are on someone else's
    • When on someone else's be it a road, a pavement, a right of way or a property there are rules. Don't assume there are none.
    • "Free parking" doesn't mean free of rules. Check the rules and if you don't like them, go elsewhere
    • All land is owned. If you are not on yours, you are on someone else's and their rules apply.
    Just visiting - back in 2025
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Excellent post W2L - thank you for taking the time! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Great timely post ! I have started my journey to build an EF .... I think I NEED about £1k  ... I rent so the really expensive things like roofs and boilers would be covered by the landlord. January is a terrible month for me, just with the car tax, insurance & mot ,  this year especially so as I needed 4 new tyres to get through the MoT . Had I had an EF in place I'd have been fine, fortunately my partner bailed me out (I've since repaid her)  but that highlighted the necessity of the EF. 
    So now if there is anything MORE than I've just been paid in my account on pay day, the difference goes into my EF. 

DEBT FREE - Feb '21
    • Mortgage March '21 -£130,000
    • Mortgage now - £81,187
    • Mortgage daily interest Nov £4.60 Dec £4.57 Jan £4.54 Feb £4.52 March £4.49 April £4.46 June £3.97 August £3.91
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure