Bath trap problem?

Options

Hi all.  We’ve got an ongoing problem whereby we’re getting a horrendous smell coming from the bathroom.  I’ve discovered that if I put the plug in the bath and put some water in it and then empty it, it solves the problem so the smell is clearly coming from the bath and there must be a problem with the trap I guess. I’m having to do this every few days.  Has anyone got any ideas about what’s happening and how I can fix it?  Thanks for reading.

Comments

• couriervanman
    couriervanman Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 29 March 2020 at 11:31AM
    Options
    Well have you tried putting any bath plug hole cleaner/bleach/soda crystals down the plug hole yet.....if not why not
  • Hebrews12
    Hebrews12 Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well have you tried putting any bath plug hole cleaner/bleach/soda crystals down the plug hole yet.....if not why not
    I have but I'm a bit confused as to why that would help.  It seems that if there's water in the trap, there's no smell so I'm assuming that there's a problem with the trap losing water somehow and then the natural smells that a trap stops are coming through.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Disturbing the build up of crud in the trap can release the smells you refer to.  Get bathroom trap cleaner, apply it a couple of times and see if that helps.    There is a possibility that the trap has a minor leak and is losing water over an extended period, which would explain why the smell only happens after a few days.
  • Hebrews12
    Options
    TELLIT01 said:
    Disturbing the build up of crud in the trap can release the smells you refer to.  Get bathroom trap cleaner, apply it a couple of times and see if that helps.    There is a possibility that the trap has a minor leak and is losing water over an extended period, which would explain why the smell only happens after a few days.
    The thing is, I took the trap off and cleaned it out a few months ago.  I've tried everything so think there must be some other underlying problem...
  • ris2015
    ris2015 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    Had just this problem after a shallow trap had been fitted to my new bath.
    The force of water leaving basin sent a slug of air towards the bath trap disturbing the level progressively until it started to smell.
    Take a look at Toolstation product 56476 (that the 1 1/2 inch pipe version). Placing an air admittance valve near to the bath trap is the solution.
  • Hebrews12
    Options
    ris2015 said:
    Had just this problem after a shallow trap had been fitted to my new bath.
    The force of water leaving basin sent a slug of air towards the bath trap disturbing the level progressively until it started to smell.
    Take a look at Toolstation product 56476 (that the 1 1/2 inch pipe version). Placing an air admittance valve near to the bath trap is the solution.
    Thank you.  That's really helpful. I'll give it a go.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure