NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity

Duty Free Shopping

edited 29 March 2020 at 1:36AM in Overseas holidays & travel planning
4 replies 192 views
Connie_28Connie_28 Forumite
1 Post
Whilst on a week's cruise back at the beginning of March we got off the ship in Mexico.  I bought a few pieces of Swarovski crystal at the Swarovski store which was in the shopping square at the port in Costa Maya, Mexico.  The shop owner told me that as we were visitors we were getting the items tax free (duty free) but he quoted me the price in US dollars and the receipt showed Mexican pesos and the US dollar price.   Unfortunately it was not until after we got back home and I was able to study the receipt and work out the pesos to dollar rate and see what was actually on the receipt that I realized we had been charged tax on the price of the goods.  I just wanted to know if it was possible now we are back in the UK for me to claim the tax back.  Is this something I can claim back via Customs and Excise or is there no chance of me claiming this back.  Or is it claimed back via another avenue and if so how do I go about it?  Thanks for any help and advice that anyone can give me.

Replies

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event

Ask your energy questions by Wed 5pm

MSE Forum