Money taken from account

Options
I’ve not long been on holiday with a certain cruise company. I paid my onboard bill in cash on the last night. The next day I had a total amount of £516.10 taken from my bank account. The cruise company claimed that they were only pre authorisation checks and that the bank shouldn’t have released the money. My bank claim that the cruise company did request the money from my bank. My bank have started a charge back against the cruise company which will be 8 weeks at least before I will find out if I get my money back. I am looking for some advice on where I stand with this as far as I’m concerned it’s an issue between the bank and the cruise company and I’m £500 down since 11th February. How is this fair and is there anyway I can claim? Thanks again for any advice I’m really stuck with what I can do. 

Comments

• WillimS2020
    WillimS2020 Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have found a lot of companies are chancing their luck under these exceptional circumstances, lots of these holiday let companies are also at, taking people's deposits knowing fully well people can not travel, and not only are they keeping deposits they are also charging the owners of the properties cancellation fees, and not refunding 'any' of the money already paid,  in some cases fully paid up by customers.

I think another lesson learnt from this, the government need new laws to stop companies profiteering under circumstances like these, many of these companies are just going to fold up keep all the money, then re-open in another name next year, or when things are back to normal.   I now think the government needs to bring in a 'criminal' element, if these CEOs/Directors think they can walk away with people's money when basically its theft, they need to think again before they cash-in on peoples misfortunes. 
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thread moved to Credit Cards.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Love the way companies blame bank for realising funds... They take it.
    Odds on in this case. You swiped card when joining cruise so you can not avoid paying. As you paid by cash system thinks you have not paid. Hence it takes payment.
    So long as you have proof of payment. 
    They (bank) should be refunding you in the mean time while chargeback is in process.
    Life in the slow lane
  • QuackQuackOops
    QuackQuackOops Posts: 2,667 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This double payment thing often happens with some cruise lines. Its just the way the admin works.
    Ive seen a few threads about it on Cruise Critic and the Cruise groups on Facebook.

• nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    Options
    Presume its actually be taken (not reserved).  I was recently on a cruise and they swiped, and the pre-auth was about £200, which still hasn't dropped off.  The amount spent ended up being about a tenner...
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Options
    nyermen said:
    Presume its actually be taken (not reserved).  I was recently on a cruise and they swiped, and the pre-auth was about £200, which still hasn't dropped off.  The amount spent ended up being about a tenner...
    That pre auth for this type of spend can sit there for up to 31 days.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Sam_Attard
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. The frustrating thing for me is that both P&O and Monzo are blaming each other while I am £500 out of pocket. I have had both companies state that it is the others fault. Monzo started a chargeback process which can take upto 4 months apparently which it has been now. I can’t contact my bank and P&O have told me they can no longer assist. I just want my money back and I can’t believe that it’s possible to have that much money taken out of my bank for this duration of time without my permission or something that was my fault. Very frustrating. I think it will be a case of contacting the financial ombudsman again.
  • Sam_Attard
    Options
    Odds on in this case. You swiped card when joining cruise so you can not avoid paying. As you paid by cash system thinks you have not paid. Hence it takes payment.
    They (bank) should be refunding you in the mean time while chargeback is in process.
    I know, while I’m out of pocket by £500. It’s frustrating as P&O have told me it’s no fault on their behalf and sent me a photo of the transaction code showing it was only a pre auth. But Monzo are adamant it is P&O’s fault. It’s been nearly 4 months now, how is this possible or fair that I can just have money taken out of my account. Worst part is the chargeback process might not even achieve me receiving my money back. I have not received a refund while the chargeback process is ongoing all I’ve been told is there is no need to contact them whilst it’s ongoing and that they will contact me when they have further information. 
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If the chargeback doesnt work then you can issue small claims court proceedings against P&O, by the sounds of it you will easily win and even the threat of it should see the issue being resolved.
  • Life__Goes__On
    Life__Goes__On Posts: 2,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I know, while I’m out of pocket by £500. It’s frustrating as P&O have told me it’s no fault on their behalf and sent me a photo of the transaction code showing it was only a pre auth. But Monzo are adamant it is P&O’s fault. It’s been nearly 4 months now, how is this possible or fair that I can just have money taken out of my account. Worst part is the chargeback process might not even achieve me receiving my money back. I have not received a refund while the chargeback process is ongoing all I’ve been told is there is no need to contact them whilst it’s ongoing and that they will contact me when they have further information. 
    Have you made a compliant against the bank?
    As if you do  they have 8 weeks  to deal with it. (if they stick to it might be another matter)
    New User name as MSE gave me a number in my old one.
    " I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure