Forum Home » Energy

When can I leave EDF energy without them penalizing me?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

When can I leave EDF energy without them penalizing me?

6 replies 51 views
FortyfootFortyfoot Forumite
1.9K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭
When can I leave EDF energy without them penalising me? My current tarriff is Easy Online Apr 20 and I would like to move to another supplier as I can make a good saving.

Thanks,

Fortyfoot. 

Replies

• JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    15.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    49 days before end . Usually the supplier sends out a letter .
  • FortyfootFortyfoot Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info, I did get an email suggesting that I moved to another EDF tarriff, Scotish Power is about £10 a month cheaper for me
  • edited 28 March at 12:56PM
    Kitchen_SinkKitchen_Sink Forumite
    223 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 28 March at 12:56PM
    You can apply to switch now. The sooner you switch, the sooner you'll start saving.

Sign up to the MSE Cheap Energy Club to be alerted if you can save by switching. I suspect you could have started saving quite a while ago, even allowing for exit fees at that time. Remember cashback from applicable switching would fund about 50% of typical exit fees.
  • Mister_GMister_G Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Remember that the CEC does not list all suppliers.  Better to use the Which or Energlinx ones.
  • Kitchen_SinkKitchen_Sink Forumite
    223 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Mister_G said:
    Remember that the CEC does not list all suppliers.  Better to use the Which or Energlinx ones.
    Where can I sign up to the alert service as provided by the CEC with either of those providers?
    Do either of those offer cashback?

• Gerry1Gerry1 Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The CEC alert is only available from CEC, but don't rely on it.  They don't tell you about Neon Reef, and they won't show any cheaper Avro tariffs if you say you're already with Avro, so presumably they won't alert you either.  Remember that Energylinx doesn't show the whole of the market by default, but the Which? version does.
    Cashback is seldom available from the cheapest providers.